Powering Uncouplers and Point Motors

Firstly, I apologise for this as I think this may have been asked elsewhere but here is my question. I am planning and building a DCC layout. I am going to have 5 points controlled by Point Motors and the R044 switch plus 2 uncouplers powered in the same way. I want to find a suitable DC controller that will power this. I imagine it will attach to the first R044 switch to power it then all switches that connect to this one will have power (giving me a bank of working switches like a real signal box). I would just like advice on the best controller to get to do this. Thank you in advance. Stuart

Hi Stuart. Firstly you dont need a controler just the transformer ( C990 I think it is) connect this to a CPU ( capasiter discharge unit ) and then to your bank of switches. I did this on my very old layout in my old house , im now trying to build a new one __________________ Bob

Thanks for this Bob . I am not at all electrically minded so does the transformer plug into the wall, then somehow into a CPU then this goes into the switches ? The wires will go from the switches to the point motors - I know that much. Where would I get a CPU from ? Kind Regards Stuart

The capacitative discharge unit, or capacitor discharge unit if you prefer, is called a CDU not a CPU. (A CPU is the central processing unit of a computer.) Hornby does not sell CDU's as far as I know. To get a CDU you would have to go to a competitor, and further assistance is therefore outside the protocol of this site. The Hornby R044 passing-contact switch is unsuitable for use with a CDU. A well-known competitor of Hornby sells momentary-contact switches, of a different internal design, which are suitable for the CDU's which they also sell.

Apologies if I am sounding thick but I dont understand electrics. I saw a video on Youtube from someone called AY76. He was powering a switch using an old controller. He connected 2 wires to the 2 terminals at the back and then another wire went into the back of the first switch giving it power. By joinging the rest of the switches together into a bank. power is then supplied to all switches. I just want to know where I can get the controller. Here (hopefully) is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlZ-I0Fs8I">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlZ-I0Fs8I
MODEL RAILWAYS - THE BIG LITTLE HOBBY !!!

Thanks Poliss. I will hunt one down. I think I will strip the wiring down and wrap it round each terminal at the back of the controller instead of buying a spade connector. What would you recommend ?
MODEL RAILWAYS - THE BIG LITTLE HOBBY !!!

Archived