DCC Wiring Assistance. Moved from DC to DCC

Mr_Anderson

Hi. I am a relative newcomer to model rail but managed to fumble my way to a working DC setup for my son, as pictured here: [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/setupw.jpg/][IMG]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/139/setupw.jpg[/IMG][/URL] I've added Blue and Yellow circles to show (+/-) where power is currently routed to the track from a Power Bus. All the track and points are basic Hornby stock. I've now acquired a DCC controller and want to get it up and running as simply aspossible. I can plug the DCC controller in without modification, since all the track receives power that this works seems OK. But all is not well, as I suspected, the (new DCC) loco won't go backwards only forwards and I'm suspecting I need to make some changes to move to all DCC? Could someone help a bloke out with some basic advice? I do have a bag of those Hornby Point clips but don't know where to put them, if anywhere at all. Thanks for any assistance, I apologise for the dumb questions, just the latest of thousands I'm sure, I'm comfortable with electronics but for some reason the two rails/points just throws my mind into a tailspin. :|

I think the loco is faulty. The fact that the loco moves forwards shows that DCC power is present on the track. I would suspect that the loco decoder is faulty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rog :-)

Thanks for the feedback. That would make sense, I'll investigate, see if I can source another DCC loco to test. Still getting used to the Hornby Elite Controller so wasn't 100% sure it wasn't me but I definitely managed to set it to Reverse and same direction, plus the in-built sound isn't happening yet either. Shame if true as it's a new DCC-fitted shunter, but the box is long gone. The track should be Ok then since power is already routed to all of the track and no short circuits?

Always retain the boxes. If you should ever want to sell anything, the correct boxes can make a huge difference to the price you will get.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rog :-)

If your yellow and blue dots are showing the polarity of your track feeds then your feeds on the outer circle need to be reversed. You will get a short when you throw your crossover with the current wiring. Peter

You might need a DCC Reverse Loop Module for the turntable depending on how it is wired. This is not the same thing as a DC reverse loop module. Point clips are not needed if you put power feeders boyond the points. If you have a Hornby sound fitted loco, then reset the loco to default settings by writing 8 to CV8. This may fix the direction problem. The sound might need to be activated by turning on function F1. See your Elite manual and the manual that came with your loco for instructions. Woody is correct in saying that, if the blue and yellow dots near the bottom set of points are correct, there will be a short circuit.
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

Archived