Dear Hornby (A polite request)

Dear Hornby,

First of all, thank you for including a 'Forum Feedback' section in the new forum - even though it seems all we (the forum users) have done is complain thus far, I do appreciate that you've actually given us the opportunity to make our feelings clear; many companies I can think of would not have bothered.

However, as you'll have noted, the vast majority of us, if not all, are pretty disappointed with the new forum and site. I don't need to repeat what others have said as it is all there to be seen around this section.

With that in mind, I was wondering if one of the forum administrators would pop up on this thread, or another one in this section, simply to acknowledge that the comments which have been made so far have been seen and noted by Hornby's web team. We recognise that it may not be possible to just re-instate the old forum or provide an alternative 'fix' immediately but it would be nice to know that the collective voice has been heard and that something will, in due course, be done to rectify the initial teething troubles.

I'm sure you understand how much this forum is valued by it's users, and that our complaints are simply because we want to continue to enjoy using this most valuable resource - the experience and knowledge of others.

Many thanks

Alex

Have you seen these two messages from Hornby?

"Thank you for all your feedback on the forum, in response we are making some changes to improve your experience."

"We're sorry that some of you were disappointed by the changes to the Forums. We want to make them an enjoyable place for all of us to spend time in so will work on the 'teething issues' and hope to be fully back up soon. In the meantime, do leave any further feedback here. We really do value your comments. Thanks!"

I'd like to make a request of the site builders to add a delay to the "pop-ups" that happen when the mouse pointer passes over the headings in the red banner at the top of the page.  It's far too quick poping up.

Thank Rog, I hadn't. My bad.

One thing which I think might be useful is if the Admins, rather than simply being known as 'Administrator', had their own accounts and contributed to the forums themselves with advice etc as many admins do on other forums. At the moment, with the admins only popping up to lock or delete a thread, makes them seem a little distant and robotic. I'm sure if the admins got involved it'd make it a more enjoyable role for them too.

Alex

That is a very well written comment and I believe you are correct to be polite.  However, I am not sure that we should 'recognise that it may not be possible to re-instate the old forum'.  We all want the old forum format returned and as far as I am aware, the forum is there to allow members to help each other.  In other words, it is OUR forum, provided by Hornby.  We all know that there are some features that we would like adding to the old forum format but not one of those features has been added in this complete disaster of a replacement forum.

Hi RDS,

Thanks - I see no reason to be rude or abusive over this. I have great respect for Hornby as a company and experience tells me that they're prepared to listen to their customers generally, which is appreciated.

To clarify the bit you disagreed with, what I intended to say was that we recognise it may not be possible *immediately*. i.e. just at the click of a button. I'm no expert but I imagine it's not simply a case of swapping them over like a USB stick. I certainly do want the old forum back (or something that works exactly as it did, with the minor improvements) but I want to be realistic about this too! The forum was offline for 4 days (or thereabouts) whilst the changes were made last week, which also influenced my thinking there.

Hope that clears it up!

Alex

Archived