Spring Steel Pickups

eighties retro

• 1 month later...

Hi, are you refering to HO scale slot cars where many brands use sprung metal contacts rather than braid?  MB Slot do offer conventional braid material of good quality, normally sold in a single length.  This can offer advantages for racing as it is softer than that supplied fitted as standard to Scalextric cars but it will wear out quicker and probably won't offer any great advantage for home use.  It is also rather more expensive than the replacement Scalextric braid pack, C8075.If you provide more information, I'd be happy to give them a try and report the findings.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete,

Sorry have not checked forum for a while, but the steel spring pickups are for 1/32 scale cars and come in 3 sizes .05,.08 and .10mm thickness and you get 10 per pack that are on like a card that you break off when needed. It would be great if you could purchase them and report back on the findings may be a bit of trial and error to get the right thickness, but much appreciated.

Hi Eighties Retro,

I've done a bit more research - although I still can't find where to buy the Spring Contacts.  General opinion on other forums seems to doubt their viability.  I think my own conclusion is that if they were a eralistic alternative to the braids employed universally on 1/32nd slot cars, they would be easy to locate.

As long as braids are maintained in good order and are cleaned to remove any contamination collected from dirty track rails they should prove perfectly reliable.

The only arguement I can find in favour of metal pickups is for use on HO cars whre, due to the smaller size of the track, stray braids can cause shorting of the rails.  Don't forget that HO track contacts are the edge of the rail rather than a flat surface, so it is easier to maintain a higher pressure thab would be feasible with a flat spring against the flat track contacts.

My advice would be to stick with the tried and tested braids, although experimenting with different makes can be rewarding.  For home use, stick with the Scalextric replacements as they as a good compromise between long life, cost and reliable contacts. 

Hi Eighties Retro,

I've done a bit more research - although I still can't find where to buy the Spring Contacts.  General opinion on other forums seems to doubt their viability.  I think my own conclusion is that if they were a eralistic alternative to the braids employed universally on 1/32nd slot cars, they would be easy to locate.

As long as braids are maintained in good order and are cleaned to remove any contamination collected from dirty track rails they should prove perfectly reliable.

The only arguement I can find in favour of metal pickups is for use on HO cars whre, due to the smaller size of the track, stray braids can cause shorting of the rails.  Don't forget that HO track contacts are the edge of the rail rather than a flat surface, so it is easier to maintain a higher pressure thab would be feasible with a flat spring against the flat track contacts.

My advice would be to stick with the tried and tested braids, although experimenting with different makes can be rewarding.  For home use, stick with the Scalextric replacements as they as a good compromise between long life, cost and reliable contacts.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your time and suggestions on the above.

• 4 months later...

MB Slot make/sell spring steel pickups to replace the braid with the above in 3 sizes 0.01,0.05,0.08 mm you get 10 in each pack majority of my cars are scalextric Im wanting to know has anyone tried using these on scalextric cars yet?

I have since purchased the 0.08 and 0.01 spring steel pick ups and tonight have fitted the 0.08 to 3 scalextric cars that have the easy change pick ups on the cars and can confirm it worked with great success, I found the car had more power and I had more control through the hand controller.

Would be intetrested in how long they last. The standard braids are burnt through on my track after only a few dozen laps...

Yeah it will be interesting to see how they go long term, and also having the 3 thicknesses some might perform better then others also might vary on each car, I don't have my track set up all the time as I don't have the space, but so far you can see where ther have been contacting the track. I will try and upload an image.

Archived