GWR King

Go_West

As a new year is almost here 2015 what will this be for us all?

And as my stable of live steam engines still gets larger the next one is on the drawing board a Great Western King this engine is one of my favorites Its engineering was for me outstanding and with no outside valve gear will make a nice clean look to a great engine.

Great choice gowest. Do one of the lesser names, not KGV or the other preserved locos. 

Yes my thoughts to I was thinking of king Richard the 3rd but must check as I think it was involved in a crash I think in 1944 and was so badly damaged that it was scraped

no doubt some one out there must know or maybe you might?

Richard III  was withdrawn in 1962. 

William III was condemned after an accident in 1936 and a new one with same name was built using some of its parts. 

They were all withdrawn in 1962. 

Then I think it will be King Rishard lll if all goes well the other thing if I can ask is did they change the buffer stock from tapered to straight?

• 4 weeks later...

Look forward to seeing your King in a couple of weeks ..............................  Happy New Year. 

Just read your above reply and if only a couple of weeks? Looking at the 2 engines the parts lay out is different regarding the chimney and centre line of the cylinders.

on the king the cylinders are back nearer the cab so to keep the Hornby chimney screw with in the chimney area I will need to make up a new cylinder assembly to fit to the valve assembly but I think at this stage is all I have to do?

but I have not started the rebuild yet as I am still build the Railmotor which is finished just the bell codes electronics /media/tinymce_upload/image48.jpg

to finish with a miro processor and then test but I am pleased with this model and tests have shown once more just what a great little power unit Hornby marketed 

• 4 months later...

Just bought one of them GWR Kings made in Japan so unlike the kits it's already built the detail is not bad just some small parts to change but the main things is to once again get the A3 bits to fit and mod some of the Hornby parts.

as said here this is one of my favourite engines and I was building it in 7/25" gauge but have not worked on it for 23 years may be one day I'll pick it up again but now for a 00 one this will be a real labour of love and have lots of ideas to make this to a high quality that would befit a GWR King.

/media/tinymce_upload/44536314e3cf7d82e4c3dc7d2de871ec.jpg

Archived