Cutting up a layout into sections

trainmaster

my layout is stuck in my room at the mo, and stuck on 2 large sideboards and a tv, fan and large box and bedside cabinet! unsafe and many problems with that, i know, but this is only as i am about to build supports for the whole thing and an extension, but i will need to cut my layout into sections, which should be easy, as it is on loft boards, but, i have ballasted over the joints and also not seperated the track, if it is possible to part each board, the i will probably go DCC, but only if i can part them, what tools would i need to do so, or is there any service out there that you can employ someone to help do this as 15 year old and a power tool = A&E? So my Mother say anyway! But i am willing to use them, have done many times before, and sadly never got a free hospital meal....lol :)

No, you can't cut the boards with the track in place. The track will shatter and metal pieces will fly everywhere. It would probaly be best to start with new boards. Even then there are special techniques needed to join track at the joins in the baseboard. Power tools can be very dangerous even for very experienced wood machinists. My foreman cut the end of his finger off by accident. When using power tools did you wear a dust respirator and eye protection?
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

When I joined my two tables together, I removed the track from around the join, bolted them together (so I could take them apart again) cut flexitrack that would just reach the join and fixed it down so the ends lined up at the joint. DCC is best for a layout in two parts as you only need a two pin connector, unlike DC where you can need about 20, expecially if you have points.

Thanks for the replies, poliss, i Must admit i didn't go out of my way to wear protection, i did wear gloves and goggles though. Only half of my layout is ballasted and the only part which needs parting is where i have my bridge, which is the railway goes over at the layout board level and the road goes underneath, which is my sideboard surface. it's only 2 track and looks like this: track =====__road under rail__===== track the bridge is not actually wooden and is freestanding plastic. would using a mini drill on the track, and a jigsaw on the board work? i don't mind replacing a small section of track, my board is about 1 foot wide..... Thanks :)

Archived