Programming new Locomotive decoders

So I have Railmaster v1.61 rev2 up and running talking to my elink.I've installed a new hornby R8249 decoder in a loco and now i need to program it. I've configured a programming track and I've read the guide, but it is not really clear exacly what to do.

So really my question is, assuming I can find my loco in the database how do I program the decoder? Do I simply use the button to read the CV registers and then change CV1 to the ID of my choice, save it and that's it? What should I do about the other CVs such as Start Voltage, Acceleration rate etc? Do they need to be changed too? 

Any help much apreciated

So I have Railmaster v1.61 rev2 up and running talking to my elink.I've installed a new hornby R8249 decoder in a loco and now i need to program it. I've configured a programming track and I've read the guide, but it is not really clear exacly what to do.

So really my question is, assuming I can find my loco in the database how do I program the decoder? Do I simply use the button to read the CV registers and then change CV1 to the ID of my choice, save it and that's it? What should I do about the other CVs such as Start Voltage, Acceleration rate etc? Do they need to be changed too? 

Any help much apreciated

Thats pretty much it. Just read cv one and then highlight it, delete it and type in the new dcc id. click the 'write' button and bob is your proverbial. 

The other items are not necessary, only your choice.

Nick, that's the short answer, literally in this case as it only works for short IDs, not long IDs.

For the full answer, go to the 2nd locked thread at the top of this forum, 3rd post down and there is the full story.  Note even for short IDs it is different to what Tony said as you start with the Change Loco ID button (how horribly logical) but you still have to finish with the Write button so effectively no different.  But long IDs are a whole nuther ball game as you can see.

@tony_forward, @Fishmanoz

Thanks for your replies and thanks for pointing me to the post that I missed.

So as advised I've just set CV1 for my R3169 'Olton Hall' but I can't find it in the Locomotive Database so I've used 'Hogwarts Castle' instead, anyway it's running nicely. Now to move on and install the decoders in my other locos...

Archived