North Devon Show

Go_West

Hi all

just thought that some may be interested as I am building a small layout to take to the North Devon Model Railway Show and hope to run both Hornby and my own live steam engines there.

Just to say that this model railway show is not for profit all money raised goes to local good causes so we are giving our time and cost for free so if you want to come and support us please come along on Sunday the 24th May I will leave a video on YouTube with highlights of the show.

keep on steaming

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Just to give an update on the show and a short video 

There were many layouts all shapes and sizes old Hornby 3 rail and some very early 0 gauge electris plus the 00 and N gauge, and larger garden railway sysatems.

Most people had never seen the Hornby live steam in action and were amazed at its compact design and just the soud and smell people were holding there hands over the top of the engine as it passed by or in some case there nose and remarking on that steam sensation, some even asked can you still buy these live steam locos but as we know only on fleebay. 

You alway get one that tells of having a live steam set and it just zoomed off at the first bend but this chaps had a layout at a show I went to and with electric locos was getting in a state with crashes and derailments so some may never make engine drivers as there pratical skills are poor any way.

I did have one chap volunteer to put the front bagies back on the track to save me walking round to the engine I told him watch out as they are hot this he soon found out and was amazed at the heat generated.

Most seem never to understand how they worked and one was convinced it was water just boiling off up the chimney and an electric motor driving the engines wheels. so i pulled out both the 13 amp mains plugs and the engines carried on round the track did he then see the power was from stored steam within the engine.

I have been asked to attend other shows by different clubs after seeing live steam in action and engines like the 9f and the GWR railmotor which people wanted to see again and agin but i will see as i may not have the time to spare.

Many at the show liked the Railmotor and would like one in electric so come on Hornby how about it? even the beaver tail coach part of my Silver Link set had a few coments so that too might be a model to produce.

happy steaming 

I enjoyed that gowest - thank you.

Out of interest how long does it take from cold to moving for a  Hornby live steamer.

Once filled with water and oil it takes about 10 minutes to steam up at about this time the safety vales should be lifting and this is the time to start cranking open the regulator but with care the time may not be the same for all engine as depends on there condition and the wiring to the track.

but once steamed it is possible to refill with water and drive off in only minute as the engine will still be hot

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Just to give an update on the show and a short video 

There were many layouts all shapes and sizes old Hornby 3 rail and some very early 0 gauge electris plus the 00 and N gauge, and larger garden railway sysatems.

Most people had never seen the Hornby live steam in action and were amazed at its compact design and just the soud and smell people were holding there hands over the top of the engine as it passed by or in some case there nose and remarking on that steam sensation, some even asked can you still buy these live steam locos but as we know only on fleebay. 

You alway get one that tells of having a live steam set and it just zoomed off at the first bend but this chaps had a layout at a show I went to and with electric locos was getting in a state with crashes and derailments so some may never make engine drivers as there pratical skills are poor any way.

I did have one chap volunteer to put the front bagies back on the track to save me walking round to the engine I told him watch out as they are hot this he soon found out and was amazed at the heat generated.

Most seem never to understand how they worked and one was convinced it was water just boiling off up the chimney and an electric motor driving the engines wheels. so i pulled out both the 13 amp mains plugs and the engines carried on round the track did he then see the power was from stored steam within the engine.

I have been asked to attend other shows by different clubs after seeing live steam in action and engines like the 9f and the GWR railmotor which people wanted to see again and agin but i will see as i may not have the time to spare.

Many at the show liked the Railmotor and would like one in electric so come on Hornby how about it? even the beaver tail coach part of my Silver Link set had a few coments so that too might be a model to produce.

happy steaming 

Archived