How come Airfix does not make any models of the Cold War?

niall_scarbro

• 2 months later...

Great to see other requests for Cold War vehicles. Both armour and softskin would be most welcome. Centurion and Chieftains, various marks, Conqueror, FV432 variants, Fox, Ferret, recovery vehicles both armoured and wheeled. These will do for starters! Just hoping that more braille scalers make their comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget all the classic Soviet kit (T-55, 62, 64 and 72 and the original MICV, the BMP-1) and the American M-48, 60 and Sheridan and don't forget the Centurion and Scorpion/Scimitar (I built one of these in the 70s and it was a great little kit and ripe for reissue). The Cold War is neglected in the Planes range as well apart from a few standout examples and almost nothing on the ships - Type 45 is Post Cold War.

I think WW2 is an easier sell as it is a conflict the majority can get behind wheras the Cold War carries a lot of baggage and differences of opinion which narrows its appeal. However there are plenty of great subjects with, hopefully, tooling waiting for reissue.

Once the Battle of Britain Anniversary is out of the way how about looking at gear from the 50s to the 80s.

It is only recently that anyone has started producing a decent range of 'modern' AFVs.

I began concentrating on contemporary AFVs in the late 1980s when I started as a recognition instructor in the TA. Airfix and Esci were pretty much the only mainstream manufacturers who had anything in their range in 1:72 or 1:76 scale. Airfix did the Scorpion/Scimitar, SAM-2 Missile, Leopard 1, Centurion and Chieftain. Esci did various Leopard, M48, M60 and M113 variants and an inaccurate T-62. Apart from that Hasegawa did an Abrams and Leopard 2, Heller the AMX-13 and AMX-30 with DCA variants and Matchbox released a T-80 and Challenger. Most of these had been out of production for a few years and in the pre-internet days took a bit of tracking down. JB Models desrves an honourable mention, for the Land rover M113, Saladin and Saracen .

Most of my collection at the time were resin or white metal.

After the first Gulf War, Ace and Model Wheels starting producing ex-soviet kit and Revell started producing some superb kits of Bundeswehr vehicles and much later Dragon started their range of modern AFVs. But there are still notable examples of kits which haven't been produced: a decent Centurion, FV432, Abbot and Stalwart for starters.

Ah yes, the Stalwart - an amphibious medium truck. A brlliant concept and attractive vehicle with the three axles and equal wheel size. I had a (I think) Corgi one and several in 1/300 for my modern BAOR army for gaming (early to mid 80s). I would be tempted by this as I was always fond of it.

• 3 months later...

Archived