Tuning scale speeds

For any sort of automated running the concept of scale speeds is really important (I guess even for manual operations...). I can make my Class 20 run at 200km/h but it takes a looooong time to stop. I actually limit it to run at about 70km/h on my layout as faster doesn’t feel right on a 4x9 (1.2x2.7) layout. A point to note…. From practical experience, throttle setting X with an 8249 decoder will give a different speed to throttle setting X with an 8245 decoder. Is there somewhere in Railmaster to adjust the speed curves? Greg

My understanding, Greg, is that speed curves are built in for all of the Hornby locos going back many years. There is also a default set of speed curves for other makes, or locos that aren't already on the list. If you look in the locos editor there's a little bit which allows you to put a speed factor in. This limits the top speed of the loco but I don't think it puts the speed curve in. I think RailMaster tries to figure it out because I put another make of loco in, didn't pick a Hornby one from the list, put a speed facttor in (you have to measure the time is takes at top speed to go around an oval of track) and it definitely made the loco run much better than it would just under control of the Elite.

Tim, thanks for the info. Are you aslo able to sepcify the minimum speed. for example I have a Fowler 2-6-4T with an 8249 decoder. the minimum speed step at which this loco will run reliably is 5 (of 14). The reaons I am using 14 step mode is a long and complicated discussion about how the elite's computer interface behaves. Greg

Greg. I think you'll find that the Elite MUST be set to work in 128 step mode because RailMaster converts 128 speed steps into MPH or KPH and proper scale speed. I think you'll get problems by running it in 14 step mode. Besides that, 14 step mode gives really ropey slow speed control. Why do you have your Elite set to 14 step mode?

Tim, You could be right... The reason I am set in 14 step mode is that previously teh elite had a bug on its computer interface that ALWAYS reported a loco was in 14 step mode. This confused the software on my PC (JMRI) which tought that it was ni 128 step mode. Perhaps the elite has changed or Railnmaster has away around thsi problem. Greg

RailMaster is much easier to use than JMRI and integrates much better with the Elite. JMRI is a jack-of-all-trades but master of none, whereas RailMaster has clearly been developed to work best with the Elite. I would put your Elite back into 128 step mode and ensure you have the 1.3 firmware installed on the unit.

Tim,
those are very harsh words re JMRI.

Personally I find it extraordinarily powerful and flexible. It is, initially, not that friendly and to be honest the more of a geek you are the more you get from it.

Having aid that.... railmaster

has been developed to work with the elite and so is probably best able to work around its "idiosyncrasies" (aka bugs) on the xpresnnet interface to the pc.

it would however be a big call to not support anything other than 128 step mode.

regards
Greg

ps

- this is my first post since the forum updates. interested to see if the formatting works!! here is an emoticon just to check!! :-)

Archived