Merging two sets together

Hi folks

I have the Scalextric Extreme Speed set, C1263K.  Can I add the Scalextric Continental Sports Car set, C1319, to it? Not sure if this will cause a problem anywhere? The track and their connectors are the same. Power packs and controllers are different.

Cheers Dan

Hi Dan.

As long as you don't mix the controllers and the power bases there should be no problems. I.e. use the Extreme controllers with the extreme power base and Conti controllers and the conti base.

The track, as you say, is the same and the cars will work fine on either combination.

I know that Scaley made  a plethera of controllers and power bases over the years and some have compatibility issues. I have only had an issue with older controllers without brakes and plugging them into a new power base which cause for the cars to fly down the track.

So mark the power base and controllers and use them as sets but mixing the regular track and the cars is no problem at all.

Thanks Andy.

Fortunately, the controllers have different connectors so will only plug in to their respective powerbases, one less thing to think about.

My boys were playing with the set this morning. They switched it off as there was smoke coming from one of the two controllers. The set up was a merge of both sets of track with only the power base and controllers from the new set, the Continental Sports Car set. The other power base from the Extreme Speed set was left in its box. They were using the cars from Extreme Speed when the issue happened.

Is this a controller issue, power base issue, mixing the cars around, or something else?

Appreciate your help. Many thanks. Dan.

Crickey... smoking controllers are not good.

Based on this review_

the Conti set uses what looks like the older "Start" Series controllers.

They have a dial/screw on the side to adjust the tension on the trigger.

First check to see if there is any phsical damage to the controller and that all connections are securely seated.

Inspect any of the electrical connections for tarnishing or burning.

If the set is brand spanking new the controllers sometimes let off a short whiff of smoke from grease/oil and release agents used in the manufacturing process. I had that happen in the past and it never smoked again.

I think the "Extreme" Set has a crossroads/interection piece. If you are using that do double check as some lint/dust can cause shorting  there.

If it is damaged or if it smokes again contact the seller or Scalextric directly. The Conti set is fairly new (released end of last year) so they will be interested if there is a quality issue.

The fact that you are using the "Extreme" cars shouldn't make any difference.

Archived