C7042 inconsistent readings

PopPops

I have used this unit successfuly for a little while, however, in practice mode the lap times read okay for 2 or 3 circuits then it will freeze on same lap time , then at least double in value, then trippl and suddenly go back to single lap time . Can someone tell me whether the unit is faulty?

Hi Chris

thanks for your comments. I have been testing yet again. Now the readings are sometimes halved (about 3 secs as opposed to a true time of 8 secs). I have discovered as well, on some occasions the second lane shows a time, even when I have not got a car on it!

The sensor pad is about a straight length beyond the corner, however, the cars are straight when crossing this.

any more theories would be appreciated  

Check the braids are nice & tidy. I get phantom times when there's a spike caused by a car with long braids momentarily shorting, particularly on a de-slot.

Have you upgraded the firmware to the unofficial v1.09?

http://ssdc.jackaments.com/firmware.shtml

Amongst other improvements, this update makes sensor readings come just from the sensor which reads the IR LED and ignores the guide blade sensor.

Hi Chris

I have checked the braids, all okay. The firmware was updated to 1.009v at Hornby, some time ago. In the meantime, I have now phoned tecnical support and am sending unit back for them to look at. If it isn't a simple fix then I think they should send me a brand new unit. It is only 3 months old!

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris

I have checked the braids, all okay. The firmware was updated to 1.009v at Hornby, some time ago. In the meantime, I have now phoned tecnical support and am sending unit back for them to look at. If it isn't a simple fix then I think they should send me a brand new unit. It is only 3 months old!

I sent my unit back and received a new one. The firmware is now showing 0.85v. I am still having the same problems. A couple of my cars in particular show inconsistent readings even on laps in a race. All guides seem to be the same depth. If I slow right down the sensor will pick it up surely I shouldn't have to that all the time !

Any other suggestions?

Archived