The Engine Shed - Not Just A Cardboard Box

AJ Models

This new edition of the engine shed is lovely.... https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/5123/ I like the way the Adams Radial is being prepared. And the glossy look looks so amazing! I wish the LSWR livery was a glossy one. Maybe that will be reserved for a limited edition one day.

And the Youtube link is something that I am looking forward to!!! The Class 71!!!! Yay! Looks nice in what I percieve as a maroon? 

Another very interesting insight!

Yes I have scratch built some locos and rolling stock, although to save time I frequently 'modify' items already produced. My most recent 'Cut and Shut' was a pair of SE&CR 'H' 0-4-4T using Hornby Dublo R1 bodies, Airfix 14xx 0-4-2T mechanisms some SEF whitemetal components (chimney, air pump, etc.) and a fair bit of plastic card. I'll attach a picture later.

I also recently built a SECR 'Dance Hall' brakevan on a GW underframe, and a SECR 6 wheel brake van using Peco Wonderful Wagon suspension units.

A BR DEMU engine carrier wagon on a Dapol guards van chassis.

I am contemplating a SR (former LB&SCR) 3Sub EMU using Tri-ang clerestory coach bodies, and a 2Bil motor bogie.

In Gauge 'O' I am building a Hornby series 'Neverwazzer' N2 0-6--2T using parts of a No.50 clockwork loco (boiler), a replica Bassett Lowke mechanism and tinplate sheet.

This is the best fun I can get from my hobby.

/media/tinymce_upload/9b1bfd185e1987621d434a1fc78eb059.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/4b6c441713aa52ce05dcc53176dfab75.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/3de9c09c1545192d16edafd57e222c93.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/d4d75dc697292243b3040970950bd932.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/df47b85592c811ac4e10643fcba5ac4c.JPG

The pictures -

DEMU Engine Carrier (Dapol Guards Van chassis)

O gauge N2

SECR 6w brake van

SR / SECR Dance Hall brake

SECR 'H' tank

Hi,

Since this blog was about boxes and livery related I just felt it was my duty to bring to the attention of the Hornby development team about the increasing number of cases where you'll have gotten the livery wrong. Personally IT DOES NOT WORRY ME AT ALL, but I'd love Hornby as a brand to succeed and take great strides so I want to help you'll out as much as I can. I've noticed that over the last 2 years the number of livery mistakes is increased dramatically. Here is a list of errors below. I hope Hornby makes note of it and is more vigilant in 2016.

LIST OF ERRORS:

- Greater Anglia Class 153

(mix up in the colour of the lettering between blue and grey)

- LNER A3 "Book Law"

(LNER and loco number not in line, this issue appears on almost all LNER models)

- BR Blue HST

(orange cantrail stripe added which is wrong and lettering is in black)

- Intercity HST

(INTERCITY branding is silver instead of white)

- 2014 Great Gathering and Great Goodbye sets

(lettering and numbers not in the same level)

- Royal Class 67

(grey roof is not at all represented)

I've noticed that on some of the most recent releases of the models that you'll have a newer feature which I've suggested before i.e. a pic of the real model in a 45' angle. That is really a great move by you guys and I hope in 2016 all models will be photographed like that as they get nearer to their release date.

I've also noticed that over the last month or so you'll have also started uploading images of the "livery artwork" or basically the guide to the livery. This is also a huge step forward and may I congratulate you'll on this. However I'd love to make a small suggestion - For 2016, the moment the range is announced can you'll please make sure that the "livery artwork" image is uploaded from day one itself? I am pretty sure that the livery plans would already be done along with the model so it should be an easy task. And it would be great if the 45' shot of the real model can be uploaded nearer to release.

I'm sure you'll will agree with my sentiments and I sincerely hope that proper action will be taken in 2016 to reduce livery errors and further enhance the customer experience whilst browsing the website thus allowing them to know fully about the product and it's livery and also allow any errors to be fixed before production.

Regards.

PS: I HOPE I DON'T SOUND LIKE I AM NAGGING, I HONESTLY HATE COMPLAINING AND I CAN LIVE WITH ERRORS, BUT I FEEL DISAPPOINTED TO SEE OTHERS COMPLAIN AND I JUST LIKE TO SEE HORNBY SUCCEED AND SO I WANTED TO HELP YOU'LL.

Nicely put together post JB - I'm not sufficently knowledgable to notice some of the colour errors although things out of line do upset my advanced OCD. However I totally agree with the basis of your post and the sentiment you have expressed. R-

@RogerB

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you've understood from where I am trying to get at. And I sincerely hope that Hornby will seriously consider my suggestion and improve even further in 2016. Hornby has already gone a long long way in just this last financial year. I am very proud of Hornby's progress and how they've turned a corner accompanied by the leaps and bounds of communication improvements.

@LC&DR

You've got some lovely models there. Agree with RogerB they are great. Love the SR / SECR Dance Hall brake and SECR 'H' tank.

Thank you RogerB and JBM. I have got a lot of pleasure out of making such things.

I found that if one wanted to have certain types of train on the layout you could wait a lifetime before anyone made a kit or a RTR model, so the best solution was to make it yourself.  So I got it wrong dozens of times of course, but eventually I started to get some results that were pleasing to my eye. Not perfect of course, but acceptable.

Some of my other attempts in OO include a Weedkilling train of two Parkside SR PMVs, one with driving windows in one end, six tender underframes with cylindrical tanks on top, and a  modified Cambrian15 ton SR 'Pill Box' brake van. These used chassis from 'Sir Dinadan /  Tri-ang 3F' tenders. This particular train was a common sight in summer on the Southern Region in the 1950s. 

A SR diagram 2666 buffet car using heavily modified Triang / Hornby Mark 1 components, but with plastic card sides, and a pair of ex LB&SCR Pull & Push trailers using parts from three Triang GW Clerestory coaches, added some variety to my carriage stock. (The latter was first described by Alan Williams in a 1960s MRC article). Before Hornby introduced the super detailed pullman cars I had already created Pullman Kitchen cars from old R223 Parlour cars.

A Triang L1 which had a damaged cab was turned into a Wainwright  L.  Some steel bodied Swanscombe APCM chalk tippler wagons, using 'Mainline' wagon chassis, for a quarry feeder line, added to my industrial wagon collection, and a 12 wheel Trestrol EC with the proper trestles and to correct length was fabricated from a pair of 'Battlespace' wagons.  Some old Lima 'Sealions' became SR 'Walruses', a project much more fiddly than I first thought!

I love looking for potential projects in  scrap boxes at Toy Fairs.  I rarely ever throw away broken railway models, as they can always be recycled, and I always save spare parts from kits .

A couple of topics I can fully agree with!

It would be good if they could confirm if they will be adding the Type U Pullman cars to the range (so that we have correct Golden Arrow cars to run with the MN and  71). These would also give the opportunity for correct shape  cars to carry blue and grey .

Archived