Live Steam A4 wheels

Geneng

I don't know if this query has been addressed before - sorry if so.

I want to change a wheel on one of my A4 locos because I damaged the spokes (did not realise plastic!).   I have the spares but how do I remove the wheel nut.  It appears very tight and not sure best tool to use.   Also are all threads the same hand?

Hi 

a screw driver like the one WTD is what you want you can make one by filing a gap in the centre of a normal flat blade screw driver.

the nuts all turn the same way and are locked in place with a lock nut adhesive but you can use clear  nail varnish when refitting.

the one thing that you must do is looking at the engine the centre wheels need changing first and the one to start with is the right hand side remove all the connecting rods on this side and before undoing the nut on the centre wheel on the right hand side holding the engine in the left hand with your index fiinter keep pressure on the wheel on the centre left hand side as when the nut is removed and the wheel the valve timing gear can become disengage if the axle is allowed to move inwards and all the valve timing setting will be lost and the engine may never run again? Once this wheel is replaced and the nut replaced then replace the other centre wheel can be changed and this is on the gear side of the axle and will not move out of drive.

make sure the quartering is keep the same and then change the front and rear sets of wheels replace the con rods and test run you may need to remove the body to complete this operation.

Archived