Westland Wasp 1/72

Uncle AFM

I would like to see Airfix apply their LIDAR Magic to a Westland Wasp for a new tool 1/72 kit.

No one does a Wasp in 1/72 and it is a classic British design that saw sterling service in the Falklands War and with other Nations such as Holland, Indonesia, New Zealand, Malaysia...

Suggestions for the kit -

1. Armament selection:

AS.12 missiles + launch rails, torpedoes, WE177A nuclear depth charge, would also like to see a Machine gun mounted on pintle and crewman

2. folding tail and rotors

3. float bag balls

4. roof mounted sight for AS.12 missiles

5. stretchers and mounts + winch 

6. no door options fore and aft

Series 2 or 3 (preferably Series 3) with a new tool Westland Scout to follow... Please Airfix.. and keep up the great work!

This would also go well with Falklands War themed boxings, dog fight doubles etc...

There is a 1/72 resin Wasp due out this year from Freightdog (the original release date was ~2012 and then Q1 2015 so further slippage is possible). I am not a fan of resin so would love to see a new Wasp in plastic (I need one for a work project). I did build the old Scout back in the 70s - landing skids were very flimsy and the airwaves wasp conversion was not liked (but only one available).

Armamnet options would be a benefit including 'Carrier Bomb HE 600 lb' (the WE177 nuclear depth charge when heli carried). The Fleet Air Arm Museum has a sample and there is a picture on the Wikipedia page. This like Nord ASMs would also look good.

I would go for this as I love this little bird - maybe with a diorama option of the landing platform of a Leander for show?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I agree 100%. This little bird is so overlooked, despite being at the forefront of Naval Aviation when introduced. Come on Airfix.......I'd even settle for a Scout re-release so I have the basis for a kit-bash/MOD. That is how desperate I am. The Freightdog option appears to of died, Airfix is our only hope of a reasonably priced model. British Company, British iconic Aircraft.......why not!

Nige 

• 1 year later...

I fully agree there needs to be a model of the Wasp so I can finish my collection of aircraft I worked with whilst in the Royal Navy. Have managed to get hold of everything else not all Airfix I am afraid including extra decals so they are navy aircraft but cannot find a model kit of the wasp anywhere.

S and M models S&M Models | Suppliers of Aviation Kits and Decals (be careful trying to google that one, Mel Bromley is the guy who runs the business so some extra search terms are recommended) have released Wasps in 1/72 and 1/48 scale with boxings for RN and international operators. They are limited run so the technology is basic compared to the bigger companies. They were due to be launched in November but aren't on the website so are presumably delayed.

I haven't seen them but have done the Scout/Shapeways conversion. The rear supports for the flotation units are hard to get right. I have also done the Scout.

Would love to see a new Airfix tool - It would make a great 1/24 subject, even though 1/72 is my scale.