Why the Neglect? Hawker Tempest V

Archdeacon

There have actually been two injection molded kits of the Tempest in 1/48. The first, by AMT, dates back to the 1970's or '80's and is, by all accounts, a poor representation of the aircraft. It seems to get rereleased occasionally, but if you want an accurate model it is probably not worth the effort. Then there is the kit by Czech company Eduard. This was first released in the mid-1990's and was re-released again within the last year or two. The kit was produced in short run molds so does not have the same level of fit as the newest Airfix kits (or even many of the old ones) but, other than a fuselage that is slightly too short it builds into a reasonably accurate model. I believe Eduard have retired this old tooling so it won't be rereleased again, but they may be working on a new kit of the subject. 

Airfix could certainly fill a niche by giving us a new kit. In addition to the Mk.V, I'd like to see them do the Centaurus powered Mk.II as well. 

If you don't mind working in 1/32 scale, Special Hobby will be releasing a series of Tempest kits in the near future.

Why is there no model of the Hawker Tempest V [preferably in 1/48th scale] This was an important and successful RAF fighter in the latter part of WW2. When will someone decide to produce a model of it as there isn't one kit manufacturer that does as far as I am aware.

There have have been numerous 1/72 kits - Revell, FROG, Heller, Matchbox and Academy. Revell even did one in 1/144. Plus there's the two 1/48 kits Marine mentions.

Why is there no model of the Hawker Tempest V [preferably in 1/48th scale] This was an important and successful RAF fighter in the latter part of WW2. When will someone decide to produce a model of it as there isn't one kit manufacturer that does as far as I am aware.

There have have been numerous 1/72 kits - Revell, FROG, Heller, Matchbox and Academy. Revell even did one in 1/144. Plus there's the two 1/48 kits Marine mentions.

The newest of the 1/72 kits you mention is the Academy, and that's close to 20 years old now. There is also the Special Hobby Tempest Mk.II in 1/72 which is less than 10 years old. Still, a new kit would be welcome at this point,  especially if it allowed the Mk.II and Mk.VI variants to be modelled. 

While we're on the subject of forgotten fighters, a new and accurate kit of the Tempest's close cousin, the Sea Fury, would be nice in 1/72 and 1/48

• 3 weeks later...

The Frog/Revell 1/72 kit is hilarious.  One of the old crude pilot head and torso moulded into a solid cockpitAvoid at all costs unless you want a real nostalgia kick.

I think you've got your kits mixed up - the FROG and Revell Tempests are not one and the same and neither have solid cockpit/pilots head moulded to the fuselage.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Tempest_build_about7247.html

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17098&page=72

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...