Networker Spares?

cobach47

myself and many others have been trying without success to obtain

corridor connectors for networkers the part is L7873. It appears that

there are none to be had anywhere in the U.K. the supply of parts for

hornby models is getting very frustrating. If hornby cannot supply parts

to repair their models then maybe we should stop buying their products.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling with Networker spares as well - the bogie frames became brittle and cracked so I needed 4 of X8209 and I'd like an X8212 so I can double up on motors (it's a bit underpowered with the motor it has and struggles on anything other than dead level track).  It's taken 12 months but I've found 2 bogie frames - still need 2 more and the power bogie axle though.  So at the moment the networker is still dead.

• 8 years later...

Hello everyone greetings from Spain. This will be my first post in this forum so please bear with me thank you. I shall be asking various questions about spare parts and so here is the first one . I have been trying to locate spare parts for a 466Networker especially pt.no.X8209 Bogie surround with collectors.

It would appear that from previous posts they are unavailable. Can someone please advise if this is still the situation or has anyone been able to reproduce these using 3d printers? Any advice would be welcome thank you Lee.

Hello and Welcome Aboard Lee

Service Sheet 202, dated 1997, and Service Sheet 202C, dated 2003, show part X8209. So 27 and 21 years old, respectively.

As recently as May 2023, a request identical to yours was presented to RMWeb. They wanted to know if someone had a 3d print for X8209. Zero response.

You requested advice. Here is mine. You have the parts in front if you, albeit broken ones. Draw the part in CAD. Print it at Shapeways.

It does not appear overwhelming, the image I saw on RMWeb of one looked fairly straight forward. The devil is in the details, of course. Perhaps there is some feature not obvious or I have underestimated.

I cannot know if you can navigate a CAD program or not, so this may not be appropriate advice either. It is, however, what I would try to do. Draw the part myself. Have it printed.

Bee

Thank you for your interesting reply Bee. You write that there was an identical request some time ago. Actually I came across that request doing a search for spare pt.no.X8209.

I followed the thread that led me to the Hornby web site hence register and here we are.

I am a railway enthusiast since the 1950s. This hobby is never ending thankfully, and some aspects are new to me. I do not as yet navigate or use CAD. Nevertheless I know people who do. I live in Spain so I am afraid I do not know Shapeways. Could you please expand on the comment RMWeb. With This information I will press forward and hopefully have some news in the future. I have been a railway enthusiast since the 1950s (dad insisted). I still have material of all kinds from that time period. I run analogic HO scale and computer controlled N scale coming up to the present period. My apologies for the long winded reply, but I thank you once again for your advice and your welcome to the forum, Lee

Hello Lee

Shapeways is a 3D printing company. They accept your design, check it to make sure it can be printed and then print it in the materials of your choice. All for a price. You will find them on the web.

The benefit of Shapeways is that you only need concern yourself with the design, not the printer. No chemicals, no process, no failures due to the design being unsuitable for 3D printing. The drawback is that for printing lots of stuff, it is not economical. It is fine for the occasional print.

The genuine advantage you have right now is the broken part. It can be measured with a caliper and drawn into CAD directly. It is much harder starting with a blank screen with all the design and dimensions to be invented. This might be the time to learn CAD yourself, FreeCAD is available and, ahem, free! Just look on the web for FreeCAD.

In so far as the search results for the part, you may find them yourself by searching various combinations of "466" "networker" "x8209" with "Hornby". What I found was fairly thin. Just requests for the part without resolution. That really isn't much help. Olivia's Trains does seem to have two complete models, not just the part.

Long winded? Mate, you should see my post on Brunton's Horse to go by Steam, December's edition of Railway Oddities. Ha! I think Archimedes was listening when I started off on my quest to explain it!

Bee

grinningThanks for the reply Bee. Looks like I'm getting into another area of this never ending hobby. I do have all the pieces from the original surround so with a slice of luck some superglue and time I will try to assemble the whole thing. Depending on the result I know some people nearby and get their opinion (3dprinter etc) as to if they can do it and or looking at Shapeways and freecad etc. I have a feeling that this is going to get interesting but it may take some time so I will be back to the forum at a later date. I have some more things to discuss in the forum. Looking forward to new horizons regards Lee

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement traction tyres pack is indeed X6030 but I have failed to find it offered for sale anywhere and it is not shown as available on Hornby's own parts list despite the tyre also fitting the Eurostar. I would lodge a complaint with Customer Services.

With regard to replacement plastic power bogie frames on a Networker I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I had an accident and broke this frame. I found a company called 3Dprinting corner on the internet who produce a complete 3D printed frame which I bought and fitted OK with a small bit of adjustment. I checked on the internet today and found that the company still exists at the following address - www.3dprinting corner.co.uk

Thank you for your reply Monty4,

I am investigating here in Spain around where I live and there are a couple of places that may be able to reproduce the parts I need. Perhaps I shall have some information soon hopefully. I am taking note of the help offered here in this forum of course just in case I cannot achieve anything here. We will soon see.

Until then Thanks again Lee