Fitting a Decoder in Hornby Terrier

choralc

I have seen the Hornby Installation guide which recommends removing the weight from the smoke box and creating a small hole for the wires but am loathe to leave this loco 'light-on'.

Is there anyone with an alternate installation, i.e. use of a smaller decoder or a weight replacement idea?

The Terrier is a small loco to start with, so you will struggle to find room inside.

You could find the dimensions of the smallest decoder you can obtain, and make a cornflake-box dummy, put it in place, and see if the 'lid' will fit back on without crunching the card.

The other way is to have a permanently coupled 'parcels van', and put the decoder in there, with a couple of wires from the pick-ups to the van, and two more going back for the motor.

http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/hornbyclassa1xdccinstr.htm

Thanks ozcavebear. I like this one as it minimises weight removal. For the X9659 did you leave much weight out? They also recommend a TCS M1 decoder was used but you could, for example, also use a Zimo MX622, NCE Z14SR or Digitrax DZ125 because of their size.

I have a 15% disc. code from Hornby so may consider the X9659 for small fittings if they are indeed as small as the bromsgrove article's suggestions.

Hello choralc. I cut the weight in half in the bunker and glued in place but was not that succesful so removed it completley without any effect on the running quality of the loco.The hornby decoder fitted perfectly, just need to use fine gauge wires for hookup as not much room inside. Good luck with the instalation.

The Terrier is a small loco to start with, so you will struggle to find room inside.

You could find the dimensions of the smallest decoder you can obtain, and make a cornflake-box dummy, put it in place, and see if the 'lid' will fit back on without crunching the card.

The other way is to have a permanently coupled 'parcels van', and put the decoder in there, with a couple of wires from the pick-ups to the van, and two more going back for the motor.

Reading your last paragraph, twotoaderic, reminds me that I have a small Western Region 14XX Class loco permanently coupled to its single auto coach fitted up that way to  give sound. The coach itself also then has working lights and an almost full complement of passengers. A lovely effective combination.

• 2 years later...

I thought I would give some quick feedback as I used this post to fit a decoder to my Terrier.

1) I ended up using the standard Hornby decoder (R8249) as the wires on X9659 were too short. I fitted inside the coal bunker as suggested and removed the function wires, leaving just the black, red, orange & grey.

2) You need to be REALLY careful where you drill the hole through the boiler for the wires. Initially I chose the bottom, centre, BUT the wires then catch the motor worm gear. Although the loco body seemed to fit fine, I did not realise what was happening! Even though I only tested for a few inches on the track, I ended up popping two decoders and burning out the small motor. doh! The hole therefore should be to the far left or right of the boiler..

All sorted now, but great care needed as its really fiddly. I'm pleased I persevered though.

BTW, as for the weight removed from the coal bunker, I just glued it to the inside of the cab roof. For me, it’s hardly noticeable in reality and I would prefer a slight comprise to keep the weight as designed.

Hope this helps anyone else to avoid my pitfalls!

@DG.....I cut the weight in half, put it back in the boiler space and laid an X9659 4 pin decoder (insulated) on top........the wires were sufficient in length so was an easy operation I found..........HB

There is no need to drill holes or cut weights in half when fitting a DCC decoder into the Hornby Terrier. Putting it simply, there is room to fit either the R8249 or Digitrax 125 decoder by sticking it with bath sealant to the side of the motor, and then hard wiring in the usual way. Small loco's need all the weight possible to keep traction when pulling any reasonable load. Without even removing the body you should be able to slide the R8249 decoder up behind the rods on the wheels - just to check it fits. There really is no need for any cutting or chopping.

Clearly more than one way to skin a terrier then. 

And a a real burst of nostalgia pulling up a thread with a post from Graskie, RIP.

I agree - I wonder what happened to his train collection. WTD, PP and I offered his wife any assistance she made need with the collection, but never had a reply. All three of us attended Graham's funeral. BB

Getting back on track - a few years ago one of the monthly model railway magazines did a three page article showing the fitting of a decoder into the Hornby Terrier with a large number of close-up pictures. I do have the article (somewhere!). In the article the loco was fitted with a digitrax 124, but I think this decoder was superceded by the 125. They are both very small decoders.

Archived