R353 E2 LBSC 0-6-0 Decoder

billyboy1

Hi Everyone

I have inherited an old Hornby LBSC 0-6-0 and though that I would try and

fit a decoder so that I can run it on my layout.

I have managed to find some instructions on how to do this online, however

this loco's wiring looks different.

There is one green wire that runs from wheel pick up to wheel pick up.

On the front pick up a second shorter green wire is soldered to the long

green wire at one end and runs up to the motor and is covered by a black

sleeve (probably for insulation).

looking inside of this sleeve a red wire appears to be connected to the 

end of the short green wire. The red wire then runs across the top of the 

motor to a connection that runs down the side of the motor and connects

to the revolving motor. 

Can anyone out there help me with this ?

I have hard wired loco's before but the fact that there is a green wire rather

than black has thrown me a bit.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

As long as you can identify the left pickup and right pickup wires it doesn't matter what colour they are. Then identify the motor terminals, so you now have the 4 points to solder the relevant 4 decoder wires to: ie: black & red to pickups and grey & orange to the motor terminals. If the loco runs in wrong direction then reverse the pickup wires.

Just a slight correction on howbiman's advice, if the loco runs the wrong direction, swap the orange and grey motor connection wires, not the pickup wires.

If swapping the pickup wires reversed the loco direction, if it is running correctly in th right direction on your track, then if you were to pick it up and turn it 180 degrees and put it back on the track, it would now run the wrong way.  But it won't. 

As long as you can identify the left pickup and right pickup wires it doesn't matter what colour they are. Then identify the motor terminals, so you now have the 4 points to solder the relevant 4 decoder wires to: ie: black & red to pickups and grey & orange to the motor terminals. If the loco runs in wrong direction then reverse the pickup wires.

Tks Howbiman.

You are right re the wiring but the prob is that I cannot see a second motor connection.

The one that i can see (1 Red Wire) straddles the top of the motor and connects with the revolving motor down each side.

However, going back to the other end of the motor with the insulating sleeve there is a small bare wire coming 

out from inside and down to a screw in the end of the motor (opposite end to the revolving motor terminals).

Not sure if this is the other terminal.

At the moment I am stuck. 

Can you help with this ?

runs down both sides to the revolving motor.

[snip]

/media/tinymce_upload/f32623161f9812fb4490a5be36ebe09f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b78ee9222a1b7ee30bd7f1f1bfa2db72.jpg

Hope these pics can show you what I am up against. Hope someone out there can help....Tks everyone

Admin edit: billyboy1 please use the box at the bottom of the page to reply in your thread. Avoid using the 'Quote' button

Hi Bill....Seperate the green wire from the red wire and cut off the red wire and the yellow capacitor, (it's not needed when a decoder is fitted)... Slide a piece of insulation over the unprotected brush spring so it looks like the other one...You now have the 4 connection points.... The green wire is a pickup and the solder tag where the capacitor was joined is the other pickup....Solder the the decoder Black wire to the tag and the decoder Red wire to the existing green wire.....Then solder the Grey and Orange decoder wires to the top of the copper brush springs.....and test.....If the direction is wrong reverse the grey & orange wires. Check first where the decoder will fit and if all it's wires are long enough. HB

ps.. if the tag is too far to reach you can solder the decoder Black to the brass screw on top

All understood now billyboy?  The advice you have from magfan and HB is exactly the same by the way, just said a little differently.

magfan mentions checking X03 conversion, you can also check for X04, for conversion purposes they are exactly the same.

Just a couple of extra things to keep in mind:

-  If you should undo the big bolt holding the magnet in, don't remove the magnet from its position in the motor as it will likely lose all magnetism

-  SoT is always insistent that you don't solder directly to the brushes, rather you get a second little connecting fixture that slides over the brush end between it and the spring (like the one already there on the originally insulated side), so making it much easier to replace the brushes in future.  Your choice though.

• 2 years later...

Billy, have you been successful in adding the decoder.I've just acquire the same model, and I'm facing the same issues.Do you have any photos of the project?Fishman, you refer to a "little connecting fixture that slides over the brush end". Any idea where I might get one of these from?Thanks in advance.

The installation is quite easy, black decoder wire goes to the motor securing screw at the back of the motor, the red feed clip with goes to the green wire and then there's the two motor control wires.   The motor control wires orange and grey should NOT be soldered to the brushes directly as this can cause problems when changing the brushes in future.  A pair of brass feed clips should be used for the orange and grey wires. Both sides of the brush spring should be insulated but you need thiner insulation that was originally fitted to the one side of the brush spring..  The same method is used for the Tri-ang Jinty. You don't need the capacitor unless your loco is giving tv interferance, if you are getting tv interferance then solder the capacitor across the two feed clips. 

/media/tinymce_upload/8cac1b8f0cef6f2477c24b0c11d3b1c7.jpg

Archived