TTS & Stay Alive

perfectionist

No I haven't installed a stay alive yet, but its on the to-do list. In the meantime have a look at this:

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21076  - scroll down a bit for a close up of the solder-to places.

Basically there is a diode bridge that feeds power to the processor part of the decoder..The stay alive components are nothing more than a capacitor/resistor arrangement after the bridge to provide a reservoir of power.

Using a Mk1 eyeball and a loupe the TTS decoder looks to me as if it is based around the R8249 basic decoder so it should be possible to mod this is as well, although the sound part is piggy-backed on.

You will need a very fine soldering iron tip. I have one of Lidl's hi-lighter marker pen sized battery operated irons and its great for soldering wires back onto decoders.

Far be it for me to pour cold water on any idea, but  should this process occur  then, your warranty, will go with it. I have been very loathe to  tinker with this newer TTS, stuff, even though i am sure diesels are a tad light, at present, as there have been  several returns, me included. It begs my next question, what difference will it make to the running. I have been very happy with my locos, and have a Bachmann with stay alive, and cant really see a difference. No doudt 25 people, will immediately put me right. john

Far be it for me to pour cold water on any idea, but  should this process occur  then, your warranty, will go with it. I have been very loathe to  tinker with this newer TTS, stuff, even though i am sure diesels are a tad light, at present, as there have been  several returns, me included. It begs my next question, what difference will it make to the running. I have been very happy with my locos, and have a Bachmann with stay alive, and cant really see a difference. No doudt 25 people, will immediately put me right. john

What size capacitor are you using with your stay alive? If it still stalls then it sugegsts you need a larger one?

Anyone contemplating doing this should be aware of the effect on their warranty and should throughly read the information linked to on the other forum as there are several conditions to be met according to your decoder, including stopping DC running, some people have and some haven't had problems with subsequent programming to the point of needing a switch in the stay alive circuit.

Also various decoders have various pass through methods and therefore points of connection, so a good read of the material linked to is essential in my view before inspecting your particular decoder and determining where to attach your connections.

At best you will have a smooth running loco and at worst you will have smoke and a dead decoder.

• 4 years later...