Centurion

john reed1707820079

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Centurion was ubiquitous and saw action in Korea and the Middle East (on both sides in the 1967 6 Day war so Israeli or Kuwaiti versions are an option as well). Not sure how it compares in popularity globally with its contempories - the M48 and M60. I definitely like it but it may struggle to sell.

Seeing the current trends I suspect that an 'early modern' release is unlikely as WW2 and 'Modern Modern' seem the main areas covered. Still if 'Airfix Battles' takes off then a modern version must be a possibility.

The AVRE version would be nice.

There was a program called Salvage Squad which restored an AVRE Centurion. When they researched it's history it was discovered that it had been the first vehicle off the boat when it was deployed in the 1990 Gulf War. Further research revealed the same vehicle when it was a gun tank had been first off the boat during Suez Crisis too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wonder if Airfix even looks at the posts we put in? They release a 1/32 Crusader? Thats the best that they can do? I guess we just wait until a company in China makes the Centurion in not only 1/35 but 1/72. Seriously, I just wonder why a company based in the U.K. that seems to make plenty of British aircraft cant do armour as well. Just a thought.

Seriously, I just wonder why a company based in the U.K. that seems to make plenty of British aircraft cant do armour as well. Just a thought.

I think Airfix are focused on what they see as their core genre - 1/72 and increasingly 1/48 aircraft. Armour fans must have thought a renaissence was in the pipeline when the Cromwell was released, to almost universal plaudits. Then along comes the King Tiger which I think a lot of modellers felt was a let down, just not in the same quality league as the Cromwell. Airfix are also caught between a rock and a hard place because their small scale armour range is 1/76, which has become something of a niche. Do they plough a lonely furrow, or should they bite the bullet, ditch 1/76 and launch a new range in 1/72? Similarly they have a back catalogue of 1/32 kits (which is why we got a 1/32 Crusader), whilst everybody else is doing 1/35. I thought releasing a range of armour and soft skins in 1/48 was quite a bold move, but for whatever reason Airfix are otherwise keeping a low profile on military models. I wouldn't mind betting that Takom or Meng do a 1/35 Centurion in the near future. The Takom Chietains are very nice kits.

I am not convinced the scale discrepancies are such an issue as the main volume buyers of 1/72 or 1/76 vehicles will be wargamers who worry less about this. Yes, the diorama builders need constant scale for all elements but the 1/76 range is pretty extensive and I know gamers who scour the net and shows for old 1/76 Matchbox kits.

There is still quite a lot in the backcatalogue to test the water with with relatively little investment so it must be worth a shot, especially for the WW2 stuff.I am looking to start 1/76 WW2 forces this year (my old syuff disintegrated years ago) so a selection of useful vehicle kits would be great (old tools are fine for now but I would love some more stuff of the quality of the Cromwell.

• 6 months later...

The Cent battle tank was used worlwide for years and by the British Army till the 1980's ( latterly by Royal Artillery Observers ). The ARV and AVRE also soldiered on for decades. It is annoying that so many models are made of lesser used vehicles ( mainly German ) but very few of this classic AFV. Lets hope we see something new in 2018!

• 2 weeks later...

didn't suggest this as a new model idea, but wholeheartedly concur!

a nice looking tank. not overly available in kit form from other producers - didn't fujimi do one many moons ago?

the old airfix kit is a challenging build which to me looked nice when finished in that 'bronze green' colour that the british ones were finished in.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived