Is it worth re introducing older roling stock as newer more acurate models

Buz

Hi all

There are now many wagons and some coaches that are no longer made, some that style of wagon or coaches have completely gone from the range

what if any would be worth returning to the range.

The one that springs to mind for me is the H&BR van which could be reintroduced in its later grouping guise and perhaps as a H&BR van so the GC coke wagon is not quite so lonely

The SR ex LBSC brake van is another perhaps the cable dums on 4 wheel flat or 4 wheel  single bolster this time in pairs and the LCL container wagon with its 3 small containers Roberts hopper any one

Any thoughts I know I have mentioned freight but I am sure there are passanger coaches may be even other items that should return.

regards John

Some of these would certainly be a good idea. The Conflat 'L' with three small 'L' type containersis a case in point. The containers were a very good representation of the real thing, but in order to fit a standard chassis the floor of the Triang model was much too wide. (Ironically a lot of reviewers have called the 'L' containers 'transformers' because of their ribbed design, but in fact these were top loaded and bottom discharge bulk powder containers and were used for cement, lime powder, and similar material). A model with a scale width body would be most welcome.

Flat bed  'Cable Drum' wagons were a work of model railway fiction. For safety reasons cable drums were usually loaded into open wagons and roped. The very largest were loaded into Weltrol wagons (or similar) , and supported with baulks of timber or a similar timber framework. All this was to prevent the drums doing what drums tend to do,which is roll.  Any movement of the load  would have made the wagon unstable and derail.  Drums in open wagons were loaded as a tightly packed load, and any free space packed with suitable material.

It has been discussed here before, but the idea that pre-grouping brake vans ought to accompany pre-grouping goods locomotives and that a selection of these would be a good idea, especially any future additions. A Great Eastern one to accompany the latest GER Y14 for example would look good in a selection of liveries, and a LSWR one to go with the 700.

Archived