Forum moderation - no, not a criticism

DavidJC

I think the site has been lucky in that I at least have only seen two public attempts at 'spam'. Of course more might be going on behind the scenes so that we none of us ever see anything like what has been attempted.

Nonetheless, I do wonder if admin has considered a couple of other moderators for the site? This would delete the spam more rapidly: the latest spam appeared Friday night and presumably won't be seen and then removed until Monday. Further, if members wished to post photos, when an appointed moderator was online, these could perhaps be approved quicker than having to wait for admin to come along.

I'm not in any way talking about running the site, but a few controls to allow photo/post approval, move threads, delete/edit posts, ban members (where necessary like spam posters) etc.

I have suggested this in the past- After all I can't imagine this forum is admins only duty, and while the 'light touch' (no criticism intended) approach is working well, I'm sure the eventual hope is that the forum becomes a busy community, passing on info & tips, and ideas and feedback. You only have to look at Ratch's erstwhile Airfix Tribute Forum to see how such communities can be.

One or two volunteer moderators, maybe even one for each niche, perhaps- Operating to clearly defined parameters.

...As long as they don't use as a way of getting a Farley Fruitbat into production...

Don't think delays approving photos is a major problem here. The small number of active members compared with other foruns and the large number of Airfix customers need different explanations. Airfix could promote more the forum, using the website pages for each product, Facebook, with more links suggesting to discuss the product in the forum. Product pages have reviews, but if these reviews are in the forum, people could reply and keep the forum more active. The forum cannot be just a section among the site, need to be integrated as the interactive part of the site, otherwise is difficult to see it grow.

On the old Airfix forum access was granted to people outside of the company. This permission was abused by one of the individuals who made hacks into their site and that was one of the reasons it was closed down.

I'm more than happy to wait a day or two for pictures, or have more of the Airfix staff keep an eye out during 'out of office' times. Definately don't get anyone outside of Airfix to do any moderation!

I agree with the others above. No criticism was made in the opening post.

• 1 month later...

"Yes my post was hacked and yes it was Merlin who did it - he since deleted the edit. I find this attempt to make me look foolish rather disappointing and sad. Group Build Leaders were set up in a position of trust, which Merlin himself made a point of stressing in his Group Build FAQ; this has clearly been abused on this occasion and I don't take kindly to it, aside from the obvious hypocrisy. In short, I expect better from a now ex-Group Build Leader and Merlin's account has been suspended for 7 days.I rarely take to publicly rebuking individual members as people will recognise, but I feel very strongly about this. I will thus set down a marker here: if anyone edits any of my posts in future their account will be banned permanently from Airfix.com - no questions asked, no excuses accepted, no debate had.Meantime we will look at whether the system allows for a fix."

Gary Bent (Airfix Marketing Manager)

Archived