4-4-0's Only

The son of Triangman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Southern L1 4-4-0 for all the reasons stated on other threads. It has long Hornby heritage, going back to the 1930s, and was with the Britannia and the EM2, Tri-ang's first excursion into better scale models. Yes the L1 gets my vote.

Southern L1 4-4-0 for all the reasons stated on other threads. It has long Hornby heritage, going back to the 1930s, and was with the Britannia and the EM2, Tri-ang's first excursion into better scale models. Yes the L1 gets my vote.

GWR Bulldog or Duke of Cornwal - I would have bought an Earl from Hornby but I fear they will be too late!

A Metropolitan/UndergounD Beyer Peacock 440T would also ne 'Brill' - sorry about the punn does anyone out there get it?

Certainly a handsome locomotive. In fact very many years ago the Railway Modeller featured a conversion of a Triang Dean Single to an Armstrong. However as 81F correctly identifies it is a bit obscure unless you are a GWR afficionado and too similar to

a Dean Single in outline to be a generally commercial proposition. Outside frames too, expensive to make. My guess is that a GCR Director (LNER D11) is a much better contender. It would please LNER and Scottish fans, is a preserved class so fits into a contemporary

(modern) period layout if desired and as an inside cylinder type but sufficiently distinctive in shape to any other Hornby model it would stand out.

I am still hoping for a SECR 'D' but I don't think Hornby will do this one, (but the competition might

as it has similarities tender-wise to their already planned 'C').

Hi LC&DR Yes,Yes,YES!! The L1! But don't forget some of the others like the D15 and the Wainwright 'D'.

As we already have T9 and Schools I think we may have an uphill battle here!!

• 1 year later...
I had forgotten this thread!

The manufacturers don't like 4-4-0s as they are hard to get to pull trains, too little weight over the driving wheels (there is a jolly little article in Railway Modeller this month about adding a SPUD under the front

bogie of a 'Lord of the Isles'. In effect a double motor job.

Tender drive did in fact make sense under 4-4-0s tenders, as it could give them quite a boost. Hornby makes the T9 boiler out of metal to get as much adhesive weight as possible, and the

other manufacturer makes the running plate out of metal ditto.

I wonder if a 4-4-2 might also have a similar problem?

Pity really because I do like 4-4-0s. (A Maunsell L1 please?)

Stuff this, if blue box can do some nice 0-6-0's, come on Hornby fight back. Q and 700 for the Southern, but for the other areas of the Country there are countless 0-6-0's just crying out to be added to the stable. I could now get tongue in cheek, but

that would only bring out the TROLLS.
Ah what the heck, an 0-6-0 never left out shores and went to the USA, AND COST MILLIONS TO STILL BE NO WHERE READY FOR STEAMING...............................

Is it possible that this will be a future NRM special commission,

particularly now that the blue box co have got the tender all tooled up?

You'd probably find it easier to start with an LMS 2P to get a close, visual, representation!!

Hi Forester

I agree the D is one of the prettiest locos in preservation, not just the NRM. Not on my wishlist as the NER didn't operate next to the SE&CR!!

Archived