2-2-2 Lady of the Lake / Problem class (LNWR)

daffyduck

Hi just doing a little research into the LNWR and i thought the Lady of the Lake class would be a great addition. Lady of the Lake would make a great set name.

Maybe two versions could be  done one as orginal and one as rebuilt version, with one being named 'Problem' and the other 'Lady of the Lake'

There are two nice examples of coaches on the bluebell website however the date for the observation coach is about 7 years after Lady of the lake was scrapped, the coach on the other would be ok as it has build date of 1903

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/lnwr/

I came across these dining cars and they are different to the ones on the bluebell page, but what would make them more intresting is the windows  in the gangway .

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Carriages/Lnwrs87.php

so i would like to see the pair of dinning cars with window gangway and 1 passenger with the loco. car, with indvidual coaches to add later.

i think have two coaches joint together could be a challenge for hornby.

Looks nice, rather like the Stirling Single 4-2-2. What roling stock would it have?

Wash your mouth out good sir. 

The LNWR 2-2-2 came first. 

It would make a very nice model. But the 42'  coaches could make hornby cry big time to do a decent job

But I would suggest something a little latter to be honest. So we could have the 50" or better still 57" coaching stock. That way they could be used in LNWR,LMS, &BR western division. Colours. 

Short 4 and 6 wheel carriages are becoming more common as various heritage railways re-create them from parcel van underframes and seaside bungalows (Explanation for non-British forum members - when the railways were getting rid of four and six wheel coaches in the 1930s they sold the bodies off their wheels to private individuals for holiday homes, many of these survive, often built inside a larger building which has preserved the body shell perfectly. Nowadays these'bungalows'  are not so fashionable and are being demolished, and the coach bodies are re-appearing into the daylight again ) .

These reconstructions are now appearing in considerable numbers on heritage lines especially the Bluebell, and Isle of Wight because these holiday homes were common in Southern England. However the Tanfield Railway in Co. Durham have collected 18 of these old bodies too.

Now if my mind has not gone totally mad. There's a news article about some small company/ charity which are building 8 i think all wooden LNWR 4 wheel coaches.  At the same time the builds are being built by trainee carpenters. Did have a link but lost it.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Err forget problem as a name thats just tempting the fates

I think some nice 6 wheeld coaches would be a nice compliment to a 2-2-2

Then Hornby can then possibly supply the body in one's and two's and some other bits and pieces as a kit for holiday cottages 😆

I think that would be nice as not all the so called holiday cottages where that.

Some of the larger creations where actually peoples full time homes.

regards John

• 2 months later...

Hi daffyduck,  it is a great name for a loco, and  the bluebox people realised the fact and used in on one of their loco's on a run of class D 11/2  . Scottish Director.  comes dcc ready. 21pin. I bought  " Lady of the Lake " and had a  Zumo MX644D sound decoder and speaker fitted by Digitrains. I really am pleased with it. great runner and good sounds. I will need to reduce volume, and run it in, when the dark weather comes and I find the time.

Archived