New Decoder/Points Problem

Sauron

Hi,

I am new to DCC modelling. I have installed 3 surface mounted points motors, that all worked fine with the two DCC Locos that I had to start with.
I recentley fitted a decoder into a Class 20 Loco. I have reprogrammed the Loco to address

02, and the class 20 runs fine.
However, the points have stopped working. The only way I can get them to work is to either re-programme the accessory decoder or carry out a reset on the Select Controller. After this the points switch for a short time before

they stop working again.

Thanks in Advance

Poliss point is that 3 locos running simultaneously plus the charging current for the CDU in the accessory decoder will require more current than the 1A Select power supply can provide.

to clarify.... are you running all 3 locos at the same time

and it is at that time that the points don't work? If you have two locos parked and just the class 20 running then you probably have a different issue.

Does anyone know what the peak charging current is into the 8216?

• 2 weeks later...
Apologies for chipping in, but I am also new to DCC and am about to use the Elite controller for the first time. Do I need to have an accessory decoder to operate points (12) or can this be done through the Elite controller? If so, which one do I buy?

Many thanks.

Flashbang comments "If you wish to operate your points by DCC".....

before splurging on points decoders check that this is what you want to do. My view is that dcc point control only makes sense when you are interested in computer control.

lots

of discuss on the forum on this point.

I agree with that - it gets very complicated changing points and operating loco's from the Elite alone unless you have Railmaster or something similar. The loco's are too expensive to have collisions or even fast derailments - ( unless that is your thing)

-

I don't want to bang on about Railmaster ( and I know its not perfect by any means) but you can control some of the layout from Railmaster and some from the Elite - For point switching its very useful as you get the layout diagram and can see the

way the points are set. Less likely to have mishaps.

Steve

Archived