Select track lead socket

Beeky

Hi,

I'm going to be fitting a track bus to the underside of my baseboard and would like to provide a socket (attached to the bus) on the top of the board to plug in the supply lead from the Select, rather than have the wires travelling across and

under the board. Does anyone know what a suitable socket would be? Possibly I could get 2 plugs/sockets (one for each pin) to mount on the board if they aren't available as a pair.

Thanks,
Graham

It's probably best to solder the track feed from the Select direct to the bus. Soldered connections are very reliable. If you need to, you can extend the track feeds. The connections from the bus to the track are also best done by soldering, otherwise

you're going to have "power tracks" or "power clips" all over the place.

The board is in my Son's bedroom and folds up against the wall when not in use. For this reason, the Select would be "plugged in" to the track when being used but then unplugged and put away afterwards. I didn't like the idea of wires from the Select going

across the board to connect to a power track or hanging down under the board to connect to the bus, but rather a socket in/on the board edge that the wires could plug into, and then unplugged when put away. Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard?!!

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but if you're worried about dangling wires under the board, it would be worth getting a cheap staple gun to hold the wires to the bottome (poundland do one that should be able to manage as long as your baseboard isn't made

of old chipboard with glue that has gone rock solid). I've recently been putting point motors on a layout at a club I go to and despite the wires being stapled to the bottom, we've decided to screw a bit of thin hardboard over the bottom of the board to protect

the wires. You could do something like that once you've finished wiring it up to stop them getting snagged or anything like that.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realise the Select had separate wires, I'd assumed (I hadn't taken the Select out of the box!) that the wires were coupled together with a "plug" like on the standard DC controller. It's a Xmas present for my son which

is why I hadn't used it.

It's given me some thoughts though, so thanks.

Graham

Archived