Where have all the ships gone, Mr Airfix?

RussellE

So, as I've suggested before, keep the old tooled 1/600 series and release them as "beginner series" kits to allow newbies to cut their teeth on them.

Interesting proposal but that brings up an old argument regarding accuracy and fit of models of such vintage. Let's say an excited child (or whoever really) buys an ancient 1/600 model and is disappointed with what's in the box let alone the end build: is he going to try another? If Airfix are going to develop ships then for what it's worth i I do think they should embrace any new popular scale.

That said I remember saving my pennies and buying and completing HMS Daring which I quite enjoyed doing, but even then I was disappointed in the small size and tiny fiddly parts.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I must point out that 1/700 and 1/350 are the dominant scales in ship modelling and to produce new tooled kits in 1/600, IMHO , would be a poor business venture. Now, I know there are those who will argue that 1/600 would be a niche market and there would be no competition but this would be counterproductive to re-establishing a place in the ship model market. The number of 1/700 fleets around the world and hence potential sales, would surely outnumber the number of 1/600 fleets and I'd estimate even 1/350 would outnumber 1/600. This leaves a very small segment for 1/600. I for one would not be interested in a 1/600 kit after investing heavily in 1/350....

....So, as I've suggested before, keep the old tooled 1/600 series and release them as "beginner series" kits to allow newbies to cut their teeth on them....

....Why go for second place when first prize is in 1/700 and 1/350 scale?

I'm with you on this 100%. The same rationale could be applied to the military vehicle range, don't ditch 1/76, but establish a new range in 1/72. A well known competitor did precisely that when they acquired the tooling to the Matchbox 1/76 kits (that are regularly re-released), whilst a new range of 1/72 kits was steadily built up. I think there might be a perception within management that it could trigger considerable backlash from diehard Airfix fans if they were to follow this course. Whenever this has been discussed elsewhere it does tend to provoke strong reactions against the idea, but if you have a brief look at the Hannant's online catalogue it seems pretty clear the the game is up for both 1/76 and 1/600 in their respective genres.

Agreed Paul-I'm not too familiar with 1/76 but 1/600 is rarely, if at all listed in retailers catalogues.

So, as I've suggested before, keep the old tooled 1/600 series and release them as "beginner series" kits to allow newbies to cut their teeth on them.

Interesting proposal but that brings up an old argument regarding accuracy and fit of models of such vintage. Let's say an excited child (or whoever really) buys an ancient 1/600 model and is disappointed with what's in the box let alone the end build: is he going to try another? If Airfix are going to develop ships then for what it's worth i I do think they should embrace any new popular scale.

That said I remember saving my pennies and buying and completing HMS Daring which I quite enjoyed doing, but even then I was disappointed in the small size and tiny fiddly parts.

Hi David. I am guessing you're referring to the original 1/600 HMS Daring based on the 1949 class, not the excellent 1/350 Type 45 kit? 😎

Perhaps to avoid any bad experiences for newbies, "extreme vetting" 😉 of the 1/600 range is required to "weed out" any poor fitting or difficult kits and only release those friendly to inexperienced modellers?

Interesting proposal but that brings up an old argument regarding accuracy and fit of models of such vintage. Let's say an excited child (or whoever really) buys an ancient 1/600 model and is disappointed with what's in the box let alone the end build: is he going to try another?

That has always been the perceived wisdom. My own experience running a model project at Air Cadets is that mostly (not always), youngsters pay absolutely no attention to how well a kit goes together, or how well that the parts fit. The key to somebody continuing in the hobby is how much fun they have building something, if they have a mentor/tutor to help them through any tricky bits, so much the better. My optimum kits for use with the model project would be cheaply acquired Matchbox, because generally speaking they are well engineered and drama free to build, but it's not a prime requirement.

Interesting proposal but that brings up an old argument regarding accuracy and fit of models of such vintage. Let's say an excited child (or whoever really) buys an ancient 1/600 model and is disappointed with what's in the box let alone the end build: is he going to try another?

That has always been the perceived wisdom. My own experience running a model project at Air Cadets is that mostly (not always), youngsters pay absolutely no attention to how well a kit goes together, or how well that the parts fit. The key to somebody continuing in the hobby is how much fun they have building something, if they have a mentor/tutor to help them through any tricky bits, so much the better. My optimum kits for use with the model project would be cheaply acquired Matchbox, because generally speaking they are well engineered and drama free to build, but it's not a prime requirement.

I like the original Japanese consortium given the poor detail of some of their kits, notably the early 1/700 Aoshima and Fujimi waterline series.  Both companies have drastically retooled their lines, and , now, their kits are every bit as good (if not better) than those of their competitors.  Similarly, the later Airfix 1/600 kits such as the KGV and Repulse, were quite excellent.  Their earlier kits, such as the Suffolk and Bismarck, were horrid.  Perhaps, as a starter scale, Airfix could follow a similar path.  As for the Daring having small and fiddly parts, 1/700 would be smaller still.

• 6 months later...

When you consider that Airfix were the market leader, it now appears Airfix is the market trailer, while other manufacturers are leading the way when it comes to the variety of 1/350 scale model Ships, I seem to remember Airfix had everything, now, I really am disappointed, and with the Royal Navy and it's newest Aircraft Carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, we'll probably find that some other maker will beat Airfix to it and produce the kit, even though Airfix has already presented a 1/350 scale model of the Carrier to the Ship itself, come on Airfix, get your act together and get back to being the leader we all followed

• 4 months later...

I've said this in other threads, but I'd say Airfix just isn't interested in what we would like, regardless of how popular the kit would be, a 1/600 Queen Elizabeth would be amazing but being only interested in 1/600 I'd never consider a 1/700 scale version nor doubled in size 350th scale kit.

Hornby calls the shots, dollars first. So no ships.

Gone?  Long term residents of the shelves at my LMS I'm afraid....

... but my eBay sales of the half a dozen 'stashed' kits I had elicited quite a bit of interest.  But was this from collectors rather than builders I wonder.  

If it won't sell in the numbers required, it won't appear.  Simple commerce me thinks.  A pain, but there it is.

Although I and many others like ships, they have never been as popular as aircraft maily due to the intricate detail that Airfix put into them and as a result this means high moulding costs. This,added to the fact that they are not a greatly popular line is why there aren't that many ship kits being released.

• 3 weeks later...

I found the level of detail a nice balanmce between monagram at the too easy scale and trumpeter at the other.

I've remade the existingm odels so many times that i have, forexample made all of the H class destroyers and had to start naming the new 'hotspurs' i bought after the G class.- thankfully lmost identical.

they don't like the ideas? don't care what the fans what? you mean the customers? I buy most of my airfix from e-bay now. they should try to track what is moving there and maybe get an idea of what people want.

airifx today seems like US auto makers, chruning out what they want to sell, not necessarily what people want to buy. and then getting all surprised when sales slip

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Illustrious, KGV, Hood plus others in 1/400 from the Airfix/Heller range from years ago.   And more recently the 1/200 Hood and Nelson from Trumpeter.  But I'd love a 1/200 Ark Royal to go with them.  In fact Ark Royal lll, lV or V - or even all three - in 1/200 would be wonderful !  Please Mr Airfix!  

• 1 year later...

Hi AEC Pete

You want a challenge? I see Revell have re-introduced their 1/96 scale Cutty Sark from the 60's with a few minor alterations. I made the other clipper ship at this scale back then and it scared me for life, but like the sucker I am I now have the Cutty Sark waiting in the wings, and I'm  very tempted with Airfix's re-release of the Golded Hind at 1/72 scale.

Remember we do this for fun                                         John the Pom

• 3 months later...

So Airfix can revive their place in the model ship market, they have the kudos, they have the expertise, they have the experience, they have the loyalty, and there is a market. All they need is the WILL. Come on Airfix you CAN do it.

Really though? Experience, expertise? Consider my trials and tribulatons with the 1/48 Meteor Airfix nosecone, such a basic error that should never have happened. Based on that, would I shell out my a shed load more of my hard-earned money if I thought I was going to have to spend days correcting a fit that should never have been wrong in the first place? That's the pity - I have had seeds of doubt put into my mind due to one silly error (although I am looking forward to the 1/48 Stuka that is due this year). Loyalty - well that will only last so far.

I don't know how much the new Trumpeter Hood cost to develop and get to the shops but I bet it wasn't cheap if the selling cost is getting on for £300. They'll have done their homework predicting sales and will doubtless end up making a profit in some years though. I don't know the kit but I expect it will fit well even if there are some inaccuracies. And that these days is the important thing: fit is as important as accuracy. Bit of filler here and there, perhaps a bit of shaving, but broadly speaking it should fit together with ease and precision with no wild mismatches. At those prices we'd expect nothing less.

Do Airfix have the time and the capital to be investing in such a kit, even if not as big or as complex? Airfix are reinventing themselves which is taking some doing; they are still trying to shake off the days of the 1970s of simple, inaccurate and often poor-fitting kits - and good on them. They are making some headway but it's going to take some time. Once they have modeller's confidence again, and are making healthier profits, then perhaps they can consider broadening their lines - but not until then.

Then there's the final cost. We might all want a Hood or post-60s Eagle or whatever, and we can all say 'yeahhhhhhhh I'd buy one' but when it comes to going into the shop and seeing the product priced on the shelf, I bet a massive proportion would back away saying 'well, I would buttttt...'

I'm in no way knocking your arguments John the Pom but they are very, very real considerations that have to be made and I fully understand Airfix's stance as we see it. Once consumer confidence is back and they're producing kits that someone of my level can build without having to spend unnecessary hours (or giving up as I did and chucking it out) over it, with a bit of capital behind it can start to produce more off-beat subjects, and that includes a new range of ships.

In S.Korea Trumpeter 1/350 ships top out at about 150 pounds. They have a great range of modern warships with excellent detail; and have recently started supplying PE parts with the kits. Additionally,  they have the Chinese and Russian aircraft carriers, alongside the full-sized US carriers and the USMC  mini-carriers. Recently, they preempted the ROK and Japanese with navies by introducing their respective helicopter carriers with a STOVL option featuring ski ramps, new weapons suites and F35Bs. Those navies are now doing this. They will undoubtedly release the QE class RN carrier way before Airfix, unfortunately.