Building a B12

Go_West

its funny that that these tools end up in some funny places keep a note if we get phone problems WTD must be the bloke to contact?

i can remember as a child a tea towel with a red stripe down it with LNER in white if I had it now might be loads of money.

ken

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst we are waiting for Ken's next episode ...

... the oldest purloined thing I ever had was a shovel with HMS Bulldog stamped on the shank of the blade. The handle is now very short, the blade worn well down and its a tad rusty but its still going. Must have been a stokers shovel. Thing is we never had anyone in the Andrew in our family.

I did some steam tests just to check how things were going before more test with the body in place and have to say the electronics work fine fitted under the cab floor despite a fault in the drawing a page or to back in the forum which had to be corrected so its hoped that when the body of the engine is fitted that the engine will run fine?

There is a small problem with the engines front bogie had some changes made in this area a time back and it appears that at times it derails the main drivers and in the next few pictures I will try to show what I think is happening.

/media/tinymce_upload/91021b62d65eed2bb46a03707d2d526b.jpg

In this picture the engine is travelling around a curve the picture is taken on the inside of the curve and you can see that there is plenty of clearance between the wheels and the cylinders and frame cut outs.

/media/tinymce_upload/579ff3d3c1897e1ffc9cc8a9262b8eca.jpg

But when you look on the out side of the curve the front pair are clear of any part of the frames or cylinders but the right hand wheel flange in this picture is hitting the cylinder end covers and frames.To over come this it might be worth moving these wheels just a few thou back away from the cylinders. I should point out that this bogie is a Hornby unit from a Castle class loco I think but its build is better than the fabricated one in the kit and that’s why I prefered it to the kit one

/media/tinymce_upload/07796196ed4c0ba1d8c50c8fb92c3484.jpg

Looking at the picture above on a straight bit of track all the wheels look OK with the frames and cylinders  you might even notice the front and rear drivers have been changed around to see if the engine had any more grip on the rails with the rubber tyres at the back but will check this change out later.

/media/tinymce_upload/91956475ecccc2b537f4b274fba25f5c.jpg

The pictures here give the make up of the bogie connection to the engine .

1 The black arrow is the main fixed fixing point to the engine.

2 The white arrows are show the pivot points in the linkage.

3 The red arrow is a spring which helps carry the weight of the front of the engine and keep the bogie in contact with the rails.

/media/tinymce_upload/976f59774fd2c165aa7b52c0252c38a1.jpg

The spring could be made a little weaker  to give more flexibility as this to might have an effect on the running but there again the engine has not been tested with the body on and this will add more weight to the overall model.

That's very interesting you would think that any manufactured item would have been tested before sales went ahead.

i know that when the GWR kings went into service one or two had the front bogies derail at speed due to bad springing and that the inside axle boxes were over heating plus cracks in the frames near the centre fixing point were discovered so much work was carried out to fix these proble.

that is always a problem with modeling railways i think its possible to build tight curves which would not have worked on a full size railway. 

/media/tinymce_upload/29cc848b7666455b5905b1f6dbe48736.jpg    /media/tinymce_upload/df2727c95da6359b4365ceea80a4664a.jpg

i thought i would put in the GWR problems with there front bogies

If you look at the pictures here the first picture shows the original design and the last picture shows how it looks now the area that changed is in the springing the first picture shows the leaf spring with its 2 bolts fixed to brackets with very small shock absorbers The next picture shows that the brackets were moved up the frames and coiled springs were added and much larger shock absorbers fitted

Ken

I wouldn't have thought traction tyres would be much advantage on a live steam loco as with all the oil and stuff getting thrown around they must be permanently slippy.

The loco is looking real good.

Rob

Rob

did some steam tests after moving the second bogie axle back half a mill and increased the spring tention a little more and the engine ran much better but I think there's a weight problem as unlike the Hornby design the chassis is much lighter and all the weight is way up the front end of the engine pass the first drivers to help balance this out i have added some lead to the back end of the cab so it should run even better I hope with the body on We will see.

Weight where it is needed is obviously the best method Ken, but you could use the tender link as bias.

My Hornby B1 would slip all the time as the tender link was lifting the rear drivers a tad; biasing the tender link to apply downwards pressure on the rear drivers may help but it isn't a proper fix though so not really advised. It may work on the straight but over bumps and round corners you could be back to derailing again.

More weight in the right place is better. Hopefully the brass body will be enough.

Rob

Well grand dad looks like we have a runner I wander what he would say if he was here now?

/media/tinymce_upload/7d94e40f1bc9b9219a588dee4e25c7cf.jpg

The engine was filled with water and the new idea for filling the oil tank via the smoke box door was a great success with its easy fill system no screws to remove and refit.

/media/tinymce_upload/6168177227cd2e3195c032a37ec77c45.jpg

Half a dozen steam runs were carried out with the body fitted to the chassis and adjustments made to the front bogie as it still tends to jump the tracks now and again but further investigations are needed to correct this, the main drivers were put back as they were and no noticeable change in traction was noticed The engine was run just on its own to start with and it nipped along with some speed but not enough to fall off on the curves.

/media/tinymce_upload/3f1eb7a5861b0450bd485518b52e619b.jpg

Now with 4 coaches on the engine still performed well these coaches I had repainted to GER standard rolling stock even down to the transfers which I made on the PC and carriage lighting.

/media/tinymce_upload/d4ad62eb3f869569f167e435281bbf54.jpg

The tender run great with no faults and every steaming the stopping and starting was ok and the problem with the electronics over heating had gone even at the end of some long runs I still had control of the engines speed so the new location under the chassis was a good idea. The magnet for the flashing light had disappeared but was working fine at the start so must look into that small problem. But at least it runs and when I started this build I did not know what was going to happen. Find the paint and order the transfers and what would be a good number for this engine?

Things to do

1 refit magnet better for flashing light

2 get whistle fitted and working

3 make back of the boiler fittings inside cab 

4 set crew up in the cab

5 convert the Hornby tender wheels to have spokes

i think that's it unless I think of anything else 

will work on the front bogie today and if things go right take some video of the engine running round my track as for old George's works number I think it is posssible to track it via old railway records just like Who Do You Think You Are!  so could have a search.

here is is at work not sure if it's Swindon of Stratford I think it's Swindon as he looks young in this picture he's the one on the right.

/media/tinymce_upload/996134e4abfa5e9e01a5f094a0984970.JPG

but things are getting busy now as Christmas is approaching so will be a job fitting in time for my new engine just when its coming together OK.

Ken

Hi Rob

thanks for that have looked at parts but when time permits print it off and read it through funny how they seem to link Swindon and Stratford as grand father was born I think In Swindon he had 2 brothers and 1 sister and I think they all worked in Swindon works his father was in the boiler shop but my grandfather had found out the Stratford paid a penny a day more than Swindon so packed his bags and left for the big smoke to make his fortune. Dad said they say them steets in London are paved in gold and walking to his digs he notice a gold  sovereign on the path he went to pick it up but then thought No I'll start tomorrow as I'm a bit tired after the trip down.

Archived