Brightness of interior lights

FinnerZ

DC or DCC - permanently on or via a Function Output???
The recommendaton for Bulb voltages is now 16V, so as to be compatible with dcc and its constant voltage: In analogue use, the bulb rarely reached its 12V! - but would probably be too bright on

dcc directly. Adding diodes to drop the voltage may be easier than choosing a resistor. (0.7V per diode)

With white-plastic bodied vehicles, you may find a need to paint or line the interior with black tape or card ! Otherwise almost any lighting will

show through, I find!

I would also recommend you consider changing any bulb-lighting to LED lighting (warm white or (cold/blue) light for fluorescents, yellow or warm white for 'bulbs' in old stock?) - as this will give you more even lighting at a lower

power consumption (and no risk of melting plastic if continuously powered on dcc). Equally for Directional lights to white and Red LEDs.
LEDs are available as kits for specific stock, or self-adhesive strips of lED designed for 12V (operate from about 7V)...

but I would recommend wiring them via an additional !N4148 diode(s) as protection against reversed polarity. For dcc (only) use I often use 2 sets in series (ie half voltage on each).

rgds
Phil

Pigment density - light absorbtion is what is required and achieved by heavily-pigmented black paint or insulating tape, for example. [Or the edges of 200 razor blades if you reacll your Physics Text Books] I did also mention cardboard ... aluminium foil

is also an effective light barrier - but conductive! - therefore it may affect how the wiring needs to be arranged. As a reflectant surface it will also scatter the light elsewhere - which, on the one hand, makes more effective use of the light provided, but

on the other hand, 'provides' more light to break through elsewhere, from previously unexpected directions!
In the roof - assuming that is also where the light strip is - by all means use aluminium foil; and even where possible on the side panels ... but

you'll probably have to paint the gaps between windows etc black - and perhaps paint the foild black too.

rgds
Phil

I'm using warm white LED strip lights and I decided to use a resistor and I'm glad I did. It is bright enough and has the effect inteded. Sadly the adhesive backing of the strip failed so I had to hold it with tape, so if it ever falls off I will consider

painting it black. Thank you for yoru responses.

Archived