West Country Salisbury 34002 late BR

Nearlyman

On my wishlist for a long time and  thats West Country 34002 Salisbury in Late BR livery. A well travelled loco ( including Specials down to Penzance), well photographed and as yet under represented in model form but easily modelled using existing moulds. Come on Hornby you know it makes sense !

Cheerio

Clive

Why not buy a different named loco and renumber/name it. Modelmaster make kits for this very purpose and it's a piece of cake to do. The number transfers are printed on green backing and cover the old number. Hornby or any of the other producers are never going to make all the different locos in a class. 

There is a surprising list of variations between the 110 different Light Pacific locomotives although Hornby have done fairly well on capturing most of these in their recent super detailed models.There are two sizes of tender in a variety of modified form, chief of which had the side sheets cut down. There are a whole variety of driving cabs, flat front, vee front, narrow and wide, and long and short smoke deflectors, 34004 / 5 / 6 getting extra long ones for the Locomotive Exchanges. The fairing ahead of the cylinders was modified / removed at different times. Two locos 34035 and 34049 had altered cowling in 1959 which is not reproduced by Hornby, and 34064 was fitted with a Giesl ejector chimney in 1962, likewise. Then of course are the 60 which were totally rebuilt with air-smooth casing removed and three sets of Walschaerts valve gear fitted. Hornby has done a remarkably good job with these.

There were plenty of detail livery differences, especially in the early days, the one I would love to see would be apple green as applied to 34011 / 56 / 64 / 65 / 86 / 87 / 88 in 1948-1950 period, especially running with plum & spilt milk or chocolate & cream Maunsell carriages.

Ah ! but we all know Hornby will reuse old moulds and rerelease in new liveries and 'Salisbury' 34002 in late BR condition is as viable as any suggestion anyone else here may care to make, so why not eh ! Nudge nudge wink wink ! ! It would make this old boy very happy !

Cheerio

Clive

• 1 month later...

If we're making a list of ones we'd like to see how about rebuilt late BR Yeovil?

If not I will have to find a suitable candidate for a renumber, but I can assure you the year I do that Hornby will bring it out in the following years range - this according to that certain law

Archived