Quick Question About the Hornby R8245 Saphire Decoder

bocaj

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be getting some models made by a different manufacture who mainly uses 21-Pin DCC Decoder Sockets and I'm going to need a 21-Pin Decoder. I'm wondering if I can use the Hornby R8245 Saphire Decoder one these models, or can

you just use these on models which don't have DCC Decoder Sockets in?

Please Help,

Jacob

Jacob,

The Sapphire decoder is a superior chip (compared to Hornby's standard 8-pin chip) with extra features and a greater power capacity. It has on the chip a 21-pin interface which can be plugged directly into DCC ready locomotives with the 21-pin

socket. It is supplied with a lead with a 21-pin plug at one end that connects into the decoder and an 8-pin plug at the other end that can be connected into Hornby's traditional 8-pin socket found it its and other manufacturers' DCC ready locomotives.
The

Hornby Sapphire is no more adapted to non DCC ready locomotives than any other chip. However, it does have a higher power rating that makes it more appropriate for older and larger locomotives that draw more current for which the smaller 8-pin chip may not

be sufficient.

Is this why "the other manufacturer" has alot of locos with 21pin sockets, because of the power demands? They don't have sound or anything so I was wondering why they needed them. At the end of the day, you have lights, sound and a motor. What else is

there to operate? What on earth are all those wires used for?

The extra pins are for other features, such as brushless DC motors that require sensors,the fitting of sound decoders, four aux outputs, train bus etc. Remember that the pins are on the loco and not on the decoder, so that a 21 pin sound decoder will fit

in the same place as a 21 pin non sound decoder. It's a standard interface.
I think NMRA RP-9.1.1 is the latest standard. http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1%20200801.pdf

I think the more pins the decoder has, the more functions it has. The 21-Pin Decoder allows you to perform alot more than the standered 8-pin 4 function

Decoder I think.

poliss' answer is concise and correct.

the question comes, of course, whether you need those functions.

The sapphire has a lot more internal capability such as flickering lights, auto running, speed curve adjustment. these capabilities don't

need any extra pins. they are "just" code in the micro controller and are accessed and controlled by the usual dcc comms.

Archived