The Collector 109 Autumn 2016

LCDR

The magazine is certainly a great deal better value and much more interesting just lately.

However it has perpetuated a few errors that have occured elsewhere. Which rather suggests that not all the material is entirely original. 

The review of Hornby's excellent HA electric loco on pages 34 to 37 looks remarkably similar in a number of respects to the review in the 'Hornby magazine' a month or two back.  The reference in that to Pullman cars on the Night Ferry, a clear mistake, fortunately does not get repeated, but the photo on page 36 of E5012 on a freight train was captioned as 'passing Folkestone Warren' which of course  it will not be doing for at least another 5 or 6 minutes, because it is just departing Dover Town, and is about to enter Shakespeare Cliff Tunnel. 

This picture, although in monochrome in HM, had the same erroneous caption, and was previously included in their Reality Check article.

I have to agree that the magazine has got much better recently. As for the similarity between the Hornby Magzine's review on the Class 71 and the Club's, I cannot judge as I do not read the Hornby Magazine. However many errors there are, one feature that I do love reading is Simon Kohler's 'column' - I find it incredibly interesting.

Well aware of that, I did however find it odd that they have BOTH used the same picture with the same caption, both of which are wrong!

I do a little bit of publishing myself and I find it necessary to try and validate all picture captions before I go to press because inevitably if I don't errors will slip through and some clever clogs (hem, hem) will point it out!

LC you say that 'not all the material is entirely original'. To be fair that would be difficult as there are probably only a limited number of pictures of certain locos that are available to use in a publication. The one you mention at Folkstone Warren is credited to Rail Photoprints Collection. If you look at the picture in that collection they have captioned it incorrectly. I guess it would be expected that the caption is correct if you were using it for publication. If I were using it I wouldn't have a clue to the true location so would also make the same mistake. 

Maybe if you have a spare moment you could inform Rail Photoprints of the error. I did a similar thing with a book about the History of Heathrow . Caption said the first ever B747 Jumbo departing Heathrow. The picture is a Japanair 747 landing about 15 years later. 

Archived