What will 2012 bring, are we getting excited about it?

LCDR

This time last year the forum was overflowing with predictions for Christmas Eve, but (is it me perhaps?) everything this year seems a lot more restrained. Is the economic situation surpressing our enthusiasm? I hope not!

Some predictions are easy

- the Brighton Belle, the 4Vep in blue and grey, for example, but what else will be announced before the forum goes on its Winter holiday?

It is meant to be a bit of fun, but PREDICTIONS please not wishes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Predictions LC&DR -
I will pay more tax, and be a whole year older.

On the Hornby front I foresee the following,
As you stated above the southern railway/region will gain some emu’s, but we might well see a missing 0-6-0 locomotive that has

been mentioned a few times over the preverbal glass of ale.
Locos - More livery changes and additions to the current range of already tooled models. An upgraded 37 or 47 if a diesel is planed for this year, but I doubt it
Coaches - The LMS are well

overdue for a coaching stock upgrade, as the LNER teaks, SR Maunsell, and latest GWR coaches will have new editions and/or liveries. More Pullmans are a certainty in both the current 8 and 12 wheel form - with the new Pullman coaches for the 5-bel adding to

this category.
Wagons - a new modern ‘rail infrastructure’ wagon, and some re-branding on the existing range.
Railroad - BR Mk1 coaches will drop into the railroad range, and some lima ‘hand-me-downs’ will apear.
Dcc and the Rail master system should

see some interesting interactive stuff.
Scaledale & Scaleautos will see a new batch of items
Live steam will not be mentioned
And the collectors’ club complementary model will disappoint everyone who was expecting a super detailed 9f.

I am

probabley only right about the tax, but I was on the ball last year with the Brighton Belle when everyone was talking about the Blue Pullman.

Private Siding - didn't the old song say "Another year older and deeper in debt!".

I agree that new liveries numbers and names are more likely than brand new models, and that the Olympics will dominate the first half of the year, but come next Autumn

we will have forgotten all about it (that is the cynic in me!) and all the branded goods will be sold off at knock down prices.
The 47 and 37 have both been almost done to death in recent years by different manufacturers, so I am less inclinded to agree

with that. The 81 electric is a possible new model of course as a competitor to the 85 announced elswhere.

The new LNER suburbans could be joined by some LMS suburban equivalents, to match up with the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-4Ts, and long overdue. My

prediction is based upon what happened with the corridor carriages a few years ago, when in fact some detailed LMS corridor designs did follow the LNER Gresley teaks.

Coach lighting is a possibility but it would increase the cost of ordinary carriages

to about £50 each, which might be counter productive.

The Mark 1s into the Railroad range is also a fairly safe prediction, it would be nice to get the Lima SK and RBR in as well but these are so different to the Hornby (ex Triang) models I have my

doubts.

Wagons are much harder to predict, but a posibility would be a superdetailed BR 21 ton coal hopper adapted from the existing 'Tope' wagon.

Sticking my neck out I think that the Breakdown Crane is overdue a makeover and with the possibility

of incorporating some DCC capability for luffing, slewing and jibbing - well we can but dream, I suppose!

I was wondering about re-tooled locomotives of Class 58/90/91, and for HST power cars I came up with InterCity Swallow and/or the latest Grand Central "Zephyr" (plain black with an orange stripe) liveried buffer fitted examples and standard examples in

Midland Mainline Teal Green (Could there be scale-length HST trailers in Midland Mainline Teal Green too?). I may have come up with all the wrong ideas.

The HST power cars were upgraded only recently, but I don't think the trailers followed suit. That would certainly be a worthy prediction as the HST is still front line power and is likely to be for 5 to 10 years more. A proper fully detailed HST with

all types of cars (TGS, TS, TRUB, TRUK, TRSB, & TF) with lights would be a good counter to a certain company's Met Cam diesel pullman. The livery options too make it a good investment and provided the carriages were all available simultaneously in matching

colours, possibly in coach packs, I guess most diesel era modellers would be in heaven.

Good call Valenta Digital! Lets see what Santa brings.

[b]Are

we getting excited about it?[/b] Clearly not - your observation that everthing is a lot more restrained seems accurate to me. I don't think it is related to economics.

I think it is related to a number of things:
1. The official 18 month release

window, coupled with the fact that some things take even longer than that.
2. Hornby's focus appears to be gradually shifting away from high-specification models. Of course these are still being made, but these are the items that are the most exciting and

take the longest to appear.
3. The tone of this forum has changed. (I won't articulate how or speculate why.)

[reply]LC&DR said:
Some predictions are easy - the Brighton Belle, the 4Vep in blue and grey, for example, but what else will be announced

before the forum goes on its Winter holiday?[reply]
What will 2012 bring? Hopefully the balance of the 2011 announcements will appear in the first half of 2012. In addition to the 5BEL and 4VEP you mention, I believe the GWR Siphons, the Fowler 2P,

the B1 and B17s are yet to appear as well.

It took about two years for the Schools and the Castle to arrive in the livery I wanted. I'm still surprised that they only made one GWR liveried Castle.

There's really no issues with things taking time

to appear - when they are worth the wait, but there's bound to be less excitement about announcements of products that might be as much as two years away from the shops.

I predict that there will be a black and white photograph of a new steam locomotive

class, with ambiguous livery descriptions.

I hope there is no re-release of the Tri-ang Blue Pullman in the Railroad range. While many would love it, this might also create a lot of resentment.

Well, judging by the New product announcement date of 03/01/12, not 25/12 or 01/01, I'm not hopeful of much this year.
No chance of new 37/47 as others have done them to death. Cant really see any new diesels this year, I think Hornby are going to focus

on more Olympic branded/themed. Que lots of 395's in sets and liverys to sell at the games.
Mk1s in Railroad and blue+grey VEP must be sure.
Railroad to be expanded further.
Sadly I think it will be a lean year. There is a clear trend emerging, for

high quality/detail models they are special commissions from retailers for example the class 76/77.

I travelled back from Newcastle this afternoon in an East Coast HST, and they are as good as they ever were.

Bring on the 5-Bel in Umber and Cream, and model railway wise I will be happy. 2012 will be expensive for me because I will buy the rival mobs Blue Pullman, I wanted one as a kid, and I know my youngest will want one, so forgone conclusion.

Who

knows, Hornby might surprise us, working in complete secrecy ( a bit like NASA ) they will spring in June an original Merchant Navy, and close on it's heals a 4-Cor.

Then I woke up, still short staffed, and pulling more shifts than is healthy for a

man half my years.

Hi Mortehoe

A 5-BEL and the Blue Pullman - the wallet's not going to know itself, being taken out twice in the same year!!

Glad to see that you also refer to original and not unrebuilt Merchant Navies. No chance of getting one

though, or your 4-COR. I think I stand a better chance of getting something of NER origin!!

With two 'new' LNER steam types due next year left over from this the chances of another has to be vanishingly small and I agree that the original MN is also an unlikely candidate. In fact I don't think any completely new steam engines not previously announced

will appear in 2012. But a 4Cor or a 2Bil are distinctly possible as multiple units seem to be 'flavour of the decade' at long last. 2Bil more likely than 4Cor as they would be cheaper to make and buy, and there is a complete one preserved in good condition.

The competition seem to be forging ahead with BR DMUs, and 1950s BR Standard EMUs. There is still plenty of space for historical EMUs which cater for both pre and post nationalisation steam era and corporate blue diesel era.

Looking into my crystal ball I predict...

A brand new deatailed class 67 diesel - lots of livery variations to choose from (EWS - maroon and the silver Managers Train, Wrexham and Shropshire, Chiltern Trains, Royal Claret, Red DB Schenker, and now

Arriva Blue) The fastest diesel in the UK seems to get around the country on a variety of trains and a new model will sell well. Prices for the old limby version are still very high on you know who bay. It would not surprise me if we see a train pack with

the new Arriva livery and matching coaches at some point in the near future. Some of the online retailers advertised a new Hornby class 67 at the end of last year (2010) and then it disappeared from view.

A longer shot is that we will see an updated

14XX 0-4-2T and a matching push-pull autocoach - ideal for small branch lines. I love my old Airfix version, but it's way past its best.

Riwaka - Your final point is well made. When model railway enthusiasts progress from a simple round & round train set to a detailed model railway the preferred option is mainly a small branch line terminus to fiddle yard, and most frequently a GWR / WR

one. The 14xx & Auto coach is staple of that type of model and a good super detailed version would give this a boost and sell well. The old Airfix model is looking a little tired, and would benefit from a makeover. Whether this will happen in 2012 is speculative.

We

Southern enthusiasts got the M7, but unfortunately didn't get an auto coach set to go with it. The Maunsell 6xx series sets would have been ideal, but the coach bodies made for the ordinary Maunsell carriages are 'wrong' for the vehicles that were used on

the prototypes, (the BCK was taken from the later flush sided diagram version and the drop window SO is not part of the Hornby coach range).

If Hornby do follow up the LNER suburbans with a LMS suburban series I hope they select the prototypes that

would allow the LMS auto trailer to be modelled. The LNER didn't go in for Auto trains that much (a few NER auto trailers did exist) but they did use the Sentinel steam Railcar (hint, hint).

I predict that there will not be a release of the Tri-ang Blue Pullman although i hope there is as id love a Hornby version. I will not be buying the oppositions version,not because of the prohibitive cost but just because i dont do their products (silly

brand loyalty) . I would be interested to know what the most requested new model is over the past few years; think ill start a thread!

I hope Hornby do re-release the Blue Pullman, even with a bit of bashing to make

a full set, at least I can stay loyal to the brand. Also a re-release of the L1 and their Southern Electric suburban would be great, infact better than great.

1. Why

are posts out of step.
2. I can be easily pleased, sometimes.
3. But what if, eh. At least two of the items would shut me up for a while, and appease the
the great oracle, LC&DR.
4. Most importantly, are you well, and how is your Dad, well I

hope.

Hi Mortehoe

Being serious, yes, thank you, reasonably well, but a bit tired, Royal Mail seem, once again, to have been surprised by the increase in mail in December!!!

Dad ceased to be a major problem, compared to how he had been, about

3 weeks ago when he went into a respite care nursing home. He's now in a permanent home. Seems happy, can cope if not overloaded, and I have taken over the running of the aged parents affairs.

Mother, on the other hand, is becoming a pain in the butt.

If we had the private mail facility that there is on the LNER Encyclopaedia I'd fill you in further.

Next week I've a meeting with a solicitor, and parents, and hope to set up power of attorney. At present I've no legal backing for what I'm doing and,

rightly, some organisations will not give me details, or access to their accounts

Still, it will all come out in the wash!!

Do you think we,ll get this forum running with the posts in order again??

Hi

PP

I'm sorry to hear of your current problems - I hope everything turns out for the best.
Are you likely to be at the Southampton MRC exhibition at the end of January?
Kinds regards
Barry

Archived