GWR Saint

81F

How about a GWR Saint (later type) as you make most of the bits already.  am currently in the trows of converting one of your Stars. 4000g Tender from Glastonbury Abbey (though the 3500g tender could also be used), chassis from Knight of the Grand Cross, connecting rods, slidebars from a grange. with modifications being made to the Star body and Grange Cylinders.

Hornby have already made a Saint or is it the wrong one?

Sadly the Hornby Saint of which I have one and bits fromseveral others, was derived from the Triang Hall and therefore inherited most of it's errors. When sitting one of these anywhere near a Star or the Current Hall it just doesn't pass muster. The boiler (which should be the same on all three jut looks different and the underframe is just so lacking in detail.

It also inherited the Triang problem of sitting too high above the rails. I did have several of these (one I coverted to a hall, another to a grange while a third was detailed and retained as a Saint while the body of a fourth along with some Saint wheels was used with a Triang Hall chassis and as the basis for a never finished Star Conversion.

However, with the introduction of the Hornby Grange, my Grange Conversion was the first to be withdrawn closely followed by the Hall when I bought my Bachmann versions and the Star conversion has been left in limbo since Iobtained the hornby Stars. This just leaves my rather tatty looking detailed Saint as the last in service and appropriately named St David.

That however is not quite the end of the story as I have build an "original" Hornby St Catherine using bits from the withdrawn converions together with a new body and a few other parts from eBay including a box! But that looks too crude against current models.

Archived