Elite - Loco Programming

crg

On Page 10 of the Elite Unit - Operator's Manual, which deals with Second Loco Programming, it talks of a Programming Track as opposed to the Main Track. What does this mean please? What is a Programming Track? Also, what is the difference between Accesory/Points

decoder R8247 and R8216? Many thanks.

A programming track is a piece of track which you connect to the "Prog" outlet on the back of the Elite. You can use any piece of track that is spare for this. as long as it is long enough for the loco that you want to program. When you need to program

a loco, place it on this track and perform the programming. Once programming is complete you can move the loco back to the main track and try it.

The difference between the point/accessory decoders is that the R8216 is only designed to control points

and works best with the Select. The R8247 can control points and accessories which have a motor or it can be used to switch lights (such as signals) on and off and works best with the Elite.

This may seem a silly question but can you leave the programming track plugged in all the time? I've programmed several locos but I've always disconnected the main track and then plugged in the programming track. Is this neccessary or can I just leave

them both pplugged in all the time?
thanks

Only if we ever get it!
Also I'm lead to believe these new menus will be for the Hornby Sapphire decoder to set up the fuel rates.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Steve - I am new to this and cannot for the life of me see in the manual instructions how to switch the points. Would you be able to give the page number please and I will study it. Many thanks for your help and patience.

Steve - Sorry, I have seen the instructions on Page 40, but cannot make it work. I think I have progarmmed the decoder (R8247 )following instructions on Page 39 for R8216) although I am surprised that I did not have to connect it to the Elite. I assume

the decoder gets its powere from the point clip? Step 8 (Page 39) says that if you wish to name the point you follow Step 2 on Page 23. This does not ake sense when you read Step 2 on Page 23. Although there is advice with the decoder I have assumed that the

red wire wire from point is +, green c, black - on the decoder. The track seems OK as I have trains running, but I cannoy manage the points with digital yet. I would appreciate advice please. Many thanks.

Chris

Follow the instruction on the paper that comes with the decoder. So you set the first four ports say 1,2,3,4. This is done on the programming track with the Elite connected to the programming track.

Once you have done this, then wire

the point motors into each port - do one at a time. Black is the common +/- in one of the other two connectors on each port. Make sure the decoder is not connected to the main track so that it gets its signal and power.

Then just follow the instructions

for making the point throw in the manual.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

Steve - many thanks. I have set ports 1-4, but I need to name the actual points. The advice on the decoder leaflet tells me to follow the instructions on para 2 of page 23 of the Elite manual which deals with 'Changing Locomotive Direction Setting' and

the instructions do not seem relevant. Also, am I correct to put the red point lead into + on the decoder, green into c (whatever that is) and black into -? Thanks for your patience

Chris

Follow the instruction on the paper that comes with the

decoder. So you set the first four ports say 1,2,3,4. This is done on the programming track with the Elite connected to the programming track.

Once you have done this, then wire the point motors into each port - do one at a time. Black is the common

+/- in one of the other two connectors on each port. Make sure the decoder is not connected to the main track so that it gets its signal and power.

Then just follow the instructions for making the point throw in the manual.

Let us know how you

get on.

Steve
[/reply]

Chris - you don't need to name the points - they gave a number which the Elite will recognise. I have never done this. Re the wiring - I assume you are using a Hornby motor in which case the black is common ( in the middle of the three on the decoder)

It doesn't matter where the other two go unless you need to swap them over because it is not throwing the point the right way. Just try in the other way round if it doesn't work.

And I would check the motor is switching before you attach everything,

then at least you know that bit works.

Steve

Hi Steve - I have made some progress this afternoon whilst listening to my team, Norwich, lose 5-1 to Man City. I am able to move the points in one direction, but not back, but I am slowly getting there. I find the Elite handbook very confusing. Many thanks.

Hi Steve - I can operate the points in one direction, but they will not return. I have checked wiring and ensured the motors are not screwed down too hard. The points move freely when operated manually. Any ideas please? Incidenatlly, I am very grateful

for your time in helping me.

Make sure the wiring is correct. Hornby point motors use black as the common wire, Peco surface mount motors use green.

Archived