L-Shaped Track with space constraints

iTubz7

Hi, i'm new to the world of scalextric (well apart from when I was little and my dad had an old classic set). I have limited space available for a permanent track and I was just wondering if anyone had any great track layout tips for the following space:

/media/tinymce_upload/aaf2c85137b71d8ed075ae37cc503d0f.JPG

My first plan is the following layout, I understand that its not going to be the fastest of tracks due to the tight corners.

/media/tinymce_upload/584f931b440318d5da8654d398e8fa2c.jpg

This is using a scalextric sport analog 2 lane system.

Thanks in advance. And if I go with my original layout I will be sure to add some inprogress photos.

Chris

To be honest that is a very tight space with a width of just 600mm  the layout you planned simply would not fit into it!

Perhaps one way would be to introduce another level especially if the track is mounted as a fixed layout. So you could have one fast sweeping leg above following the wall line with a bendy section below that can use gentler curves to weave back using the full width of 600mm.

Thanks Blagard for your reply, I was aware that the space is a bit tight, I have changed the layout slightly, but I still need to think about the far left curves, as they are very tight (C8202 R1).

http://xrc.chrisneedham.co.uk/temptrack1.JPG

It has also been pointed out to me that one lane is gonna be shorter than the other with this layout with most corners being in one direction! :(  and having checked on UR3 there is a 0.02mile difference, even though the inside lane is tighter so maybe might even out the speeds.

Think some serious play with layouts will be in order before I make anything permanent - oh I wish I could have 4ft wide main area instead of 3ft :(

The way to get two near equal length lanes is to do a layout more like a figure 8. There will be a slight difference if one loop has tighter bends than the other. One set with Rad 2 curves in each loop of the figure 8 does have equal lanes.

Your loop within a loop is more unequal than a circuit without a flyover. Introducing a second flyover as the sketch would reduce the differnce.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d8cd4fa39b71a4bff99913a2cffd7c2.jpg 

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Have you come up with anything different for this layout? i have a very similarly sized and shaped one, built in my loft but with space constraints due to roof trusses etc and am thinking of adding a crossover to even out the 2 tracks lengths, and maybe even an extra loop to increase running length. Any ideas appreciated. 

/media/tinymce_upload/f46f112b7cd4089d558af3dc723550e6.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/c13d8d44203c1e0eca0f4cf754ef455d.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/606ba8106fde4df33ab0d91cf84d1f0a.JPGLayout 

Archived