Linux Mint & RailMaster 1.3 (A bit Technical for those interested)

Hi all,

For those running a Linux operating system, or thinking of doing so, then I can confirm RailMaster will work if it is run in a Windows environment using VirtualBox.
Not tried everything 100% as yet but it loads and runs, I can create

the layout operate points and control the loco.
Just tried and it will read/write CV's

To try this just downloaded the trial version which is now showing as version 1.3
They have added a long addressing drop down bar so no having to work it out,

very nice!

I don't like the hare or the tortoise for top / shunt speed, it's make the software very toy like.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mmm, I didn't try that as I only tested the evaluation version connected to the Elite.
I've also not tried the networking feature either from a virtual installation. could be interesting.

It would be a good idea to send a help request to Railmaster

support from within Railmaster running in the VB.
They may be able to see if it can still work, I can't see any major reason why not though, although I'm no PC guru so could be completely wrong :-)

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
A bit of an update, for anyone who is interested...

It appears the problem is with Virtual Box. I was playing around with RailMaster running on Windows XP 64 under VMware Fusion on my Mac Pro and it activated on the first attempt. I deactivated

it and reactivated it with no problems. I uninstalled Virtual Box on my MacBook Pro and installed VMware Fusion and then copied over the virtual machine from my Mac Pro. I deactived RailMaster again on my Mac Pro and was able to activate it first time on the

laptop.

After that success I thought I would have a go updating my Elite firmware even though it was running under Windows 64. Again a trouble free update!

So, I'm all up and running now and looking forward to seeing what RailMaster can really

do.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work with VB unless it was issuing a UUID to the virtual machine which the Railmaster servers didn't like. I should be possible to edit that.

Archived