What a Circus - converting vehicles

Robert Lock

Given that Airfix is owned by Hornby would it not make sense for them either to release conversion kits or repackage existing kits for use in the civilian world that would go nicely with a railway .

Aircraft modellers are used to having extra bits on their sprues for different variants of an aircraft so given that airfix have several vehicle types that served in the civilian world post war could they not do the same for some of their vehicles .

They could do a showman range I'm sure based on Circuses based around the RAF  sets , the Matador and the Scammel , do some extra sprues and some nice decals and they could get money from existing tools without having to go to too much extra expense compared to a brand new tool . 

It's highly unlikely that Hornby/Airfix would go to the expence of re-tooling just to produce kits for a very niche market.  In any case, Hornby have already done a range of circus vehicles in collaboration with Oxford Diecast, and the latter models are still available.  The Airfix Magazine from the late 70's ran a couple of conversion articles i seem to recall.  In most cases one of the most dificult aspects was the painting and decoration as several only involved adding a simple box body to the existing cab/chassis.

Let's face it, these moulds are very old and in need of new tools. Even if they weren't it would depend upon the layout of the mould whether it would be practical to exclude the parts not required for the new model. In an ideal world Airfix/Hornby would bring out a state-of-the-art new tool with options for military and civilian variants.

True , true  . I was just trying to think of ways they could reinvigorate their back catalogue and make it earn more money for the company. Didn't they do one conversion set already for I want to say the Valiant .

Yes and no; the Valiant PR parts mostly came out as a conversion set, but some of them (memory says the camera windows) were in the main kit so I suspect the original plan was to do a kit that built as bomber or PR, all the tooling got done, and it was then decided that:-

1) The kit would sell more at a lower price point without the lesser known PR option.

2) Too much had been invested in the extra parts etc for the PR to waste it by not using it.

• 4 months later...

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w592/Dave_Haine/Bedford%20SHG%20Refueller/_20160722_120042_zpsedi87ekk.jpg

There you go- Bedford SHG Refueller. The base kit for that was the QL refueller, with the addition of various scratchbuilt parts, the front axle from the arfix Bedford OX. Cab and wheels came from Road Transport Images. 

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember railway Modellers converting Airfix military models for Civillian use from as far back as the 70s. Indeed I adapted an AEC Matadore to look like a GWR AEC Monarch though that was later reduced to it's chassis and put in a scrap yard when Cooper Craft brought out their 1:76 Monarch.

The opel blitz is a very nice civillian looking model though I'm not sure how many would have been in this country (if any). The fire Engone out of the RAF emergency makes a good flat bed or even a furniture removal van if you put a new body on it..

I know this is off topic but the Warterloo farmhouse makes an attractive building with some rearrangement of pieces (Railway Modeller Oxtober 1976). Also the forward command post makes a good derelict cottage either using one kit or combining several

Archived