Railmaster not adding new loco

I carry out engineering work over the Christmas period, and the layout is only just back to fully operational, but will try again soon.

From HMRS

There is something very strange happening on your computer. When we run railMaster we get a completely black screen and have to log out. Something odd is happening on your computer, which may also be having the effect on RailMaster you're experiencing. Can you install RailMaster on another PC, copy your locos (resource.mdb file) from the RailMaster program folder then see if you can operate locos above 66. If you can then your PC is the culprit. Bearing in mind we cannot use AeroAdmin, which we have never not been able to do before, and this is the only report we have ever had of the RailMaster problem you are having (many users have locos running into the hundreds) it suggests something is wrong with your PC.

Now there are more users with same problem perhaps aero admin will work with them.

Regarding the program file.

From HMRS 16 Sept

We now have your plan and will look into this. It may take a few days due to the complexity.We run longer and more complex programs on a test layout we have running six trains, turntable, tipper and so on.Something in your program must be triggering the issue however we will need to run a trace on it, which is time-consuming.

19 Sept

To test your program, plan and locos file is going to take a few days. We will email you when we have gone through it.

Still waiting.

I can uplload these files if anyone if prepared to test them.

To test program file all that is required is to add a loco to resource file and see if it works. May help find a common cause.

The program file can be run "offline" and then log checked to see if program completed, or exited early.

This is assuming, Knap, that there is NO problem with your PC.

Without sounding critical of anything here you are obviously adament that the PC is OK and that RailMaster is at fault. I would assume that tests have been carried out by HRMS with your files and as yet have nothing to come back with.

If they logged into your system and were presented with a blank screen while carrying out tests then to that means an issue, maybe a rather hidden one, with the computer itself. It is very unlikely that a connection issue with their software (Aero) is to blame so something else is happening.

This is the picture that is building up in this scenario. Of course, none of us on here, without seeing all this for ourselves can judge one way or the other. However, it does seem that something is going on at your end. I'm not blaming hardware, PC or eLink, but it may be a secondary driver issue with some internal hardware.

That could include any driver from the following: motherboard chipset, graphics, ethernet (try resetting the card itself as opposed to the driver) and many more. If you are using third party drivers this can cause havoc. I am not saying you are but if so install the correct manufacturer drivers for all components.

All this may be in place anyway but while not mentioned thus far in this thread I thought even the daftest and smallest of problems could be having an effect.

Anyway, nothing stopping you checking all this as obviously the issue is important to you.

All tested on new laptop with same problems with Resource and program files.

My old laptop has no problem with gaming using STEAM, and handles all other programs without issue.

HMRS have not actually replied with any results from testing my files.

The key point about the resource file and program is the specific point they fail. Any intermittent fault would not normally cause this type of problem but more random failures.

If you check my other thread the program file exits after a specific number of commands, not time related, and I can change the commands and it will still exit at same point.

Having replaced every bit of Hardware the finger points at a software issue (I have different anti virus on each laptop). For this to happen to a number of users at same number of locos would point towards Railmaster (I maybe wrong and HMRS have been very helpful in past). 

KNAP, Hi, HRMS. are a bit like a dog with a bone., in that, they dont give up.They keep  offering new suggestions, as several of us have had probs, none of their making. My advice, ask them to take over your new machine with  the Aero software. If there is a prob, they will find it, and you can watch/ communicate, as they work through the options. A lot of newer machines have gimmiks to keep prices down, and dont seem as helpful as the older ones. john

Happy to let railmaster support look at my computer, if it may help solve the problem. As well as needing to group to not lose last few locos, I also had same problem as this topic that I couldn't add locos unless in a group rather than all view. I would make clear that grouping does solve both problems and, if you switch to a small group before shutting down, railmaster starts up much more quickly than trying on an all group view.  I am therefore very happy to use grouping as a long term solution.

Could someone let me know how I should contact support to let them have access if it would help others?  (Hope that me working full time will not cause a problem)

Overall I am absolutely delighted with railmaster/Elink, and railmaster support, and would recommend it to anyone considering going dcc. 

Grouping seems to work fine, so I'll continue happily whilst the bug (if that's what it is) is sorted. I notice that  groups can be created so that locos can be in more than one group, which makes the Access database more interesting. Is anyone working with multiple sets of groups, and are these working OK? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived