My Detailing and 3D-printing projects!

JeremiahBunyan

A collection of pictures of the diorama...

/media/tinymce_upload/83749cd778b9a9abd9628e6faba2fd8e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1e4c16782ddb120860d0bd5affbe966a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8c0f74306a84edede4d0ebff980ae7bd.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e00d1c6cf4a0ed4cf35ee79e21dcdfe3.jpg

The diorama was made by Kaustav for me to display my models and he's also weathered all my models.

As a matter of curiosity, which gauges are you modelling?

India has adopted different gauges I seem to recall  at least - Two foot, Two foot six, Metre, Standard and Broad (5' 6"), so plenty to choose from.

As a matter of curiosity, which gauges are you modelling?

India has adopted different gauges I seem to recall  at least - Two foot, Two foot six, Metre, Standard and Broad (5' 6"), so plenty to choose from.

India has 4 gauges i.e.

- BG - 1676mm

- MG - 1000mm

- NG - 762mm

- NG - 610mm

The Indian Railways doesn't use SG, the only SG track in India comes in the form of metro systems like Bangalore's Metro and every other city exacelt Calcutta and Delhi. The Calcutta Tramways runs on SG as well.

In modelling form, my aim is to try and cover as many Indian Railways prototypes as possible. To simplify this I have just gone for 16.5mm to represent BG, 12.0mm to represent MG and 9.0mm to represent NG. But all my BG and MG kits are customizable to a point where the end customer can choose between 22.0mm, 18.83mm and 16.5mm to represent BG and 14.2mm and 12.0mm to represent MG.

I believe no one up until Hayley (my work partner), Tim, Kaustav and myself have modelled the Indian Railways with such detail and accuracy.

I completely agree with this comment. Elsewhere on here, I have mentioned how much I look forward to seeing your posts and the 3D printed models. If you are responsible for the decoration and weathering - that's not bad either. 😀.

Keep them coming.

R-

I believe no one up until Hayley (my work partner), Tim, Kaustav and myself have modelled the Indian Railways with such detail and accuracy.

I completely agree with this comment. Elsewhere on here, I have mentioned how much I look forward to seeing your posts and the 3D printed models. If you are responsible for the decoration and weathering - that's not bad either. 😀.

Keep them coming.

R-

Hey Roger,

I did the design work and assembly, Hayley painted it and Kaustav has weathered it....

Exceptional work by all participants. The overall ‘grotty’ effect is very realistic.

I enjoy watching Indian railways on TV as they have the formality and pride of the old Raj with the haphazard attitude of the travelling public and the permanent way that sometimes runs a tad too close through some built up areas.

I hadn’t realised the gauges were so different. I thought the whole world was now either SG or NG.

/media/tinymce_upload/6fd96eecb9a3a8f5a4d0565b268da489.PNG

I am currently waiting for 3D test print for a six wheeled bogie designed to fit a Hornby Railroad Pullman. Sadly in posting this picture I think I have offset the pivot the wrong way!

However, I will correct this once I have tested it around a set track point and made any other changes required. In the meantime can anyone tell me if this looks OK

Exceptional work by all participants. The overall ‘grotty’ effect is very realistic.

I enjoy watching Indian railways on TV as they have the formality and pride of the old Raj with the haphazard attitude of the travelling public and the permanent way that sometimes runs a tad too close through some built up areas.

I hadn’t realised the gauges were so different. I thought the whole world was now either SG or NG.

Still multiple gauges worlwide RAF. Australia is famous for it's multiple gauges I believe.

/media/tinymce_upload/6fd96eecb9a3a8f5a4d0565b268da489.PNG

I am currently waiting for 3D test print for a six wheeled bogie designed to fit a Hornby Railroad Pullman. Sadly in posting this picture I think I have offset the pivot the wrong way!

However, I will correct this once I have tested it around a set track point and made any other changes required. In the meantime can anyone tell me if this looks OK

It looks brilliant 81F. And yes I believe the mount is on the wrong side.

• 1 month later...

Jeremiah,

Excellent modelling. Congratulations. Very impressive!

I too like to model Indian Railways and have a few handmade static brass locomotives in O-scale (WDM2, WAM4, WAP4) and assorted running ho scale locomotives. The ho scale locomotives were modified from Fleischmann/Roco chassis (2 WCM4, 1 WP, 2 WG) and from Atlas/Bowser/P2K with shells made through additive manufacturing (4 WDM2, 2 WDM4, 1 WDG4). As I have footplated for over 30 years and made sound  recording I have edited and programmed the original sounds of the diesel and electric locomotives with esu-loksound decoders. You can see them in:   

. There are 5 parts to it.

I have attached a picture of the WDM2s./media/tinymce_upload/48ea9b0621bbe3986fd160724166f338.JPG

Dr. Bharat Balasubramanian (Dr. B)

Jeremiah,

Excellent modelling. Congratulations. Very impressive!

I too like to model Indian Railways and have a few handmade static brass locomotives in O-scale (WDM2, WAM4, WAP4) and assorted running ho scale locomotives. The ho scale locomotives were modified from Fleischmann/Roco chassis (2 WCM4, 1 WP, 2 WG) and from Atlas/Bowser/P2K with shells made through additive manufacturing (4 WDM2, 2 WDM4, 1 WDG4). As I have footplated for over 30 years and made sound  recording I have edited and programmed the original sounds of the diesel and electric locomotives with esu-loksound decoders. You can see them in:   

. There are 5 parts to it.

I have attached a picture of the WDM2s./media/tinymce_upload/48ea9b0621bbe3986fd160724166f338.JPG

Dr. Bharat Balasubramanian (Dr. B)

Nice work Bharat!

I have subscribed to your YouTube channel as well. Do keep in touch.

T gauge isn't really a foreign concept to me, after all it was all the T gauge models I designed in 2016 onwards that helped me make a name for myself. I've even designed a couple of items one can buy as RTR models from the T gauge shop.

About 2-3 years ago I did design a T gauge WP and WDM1 for myself, but since then all they got was a coat of primer. I'm seriously considering getting back into T gauge and here's the CAD work...

The world's smallest WDM2

/media/tinymce_upload/74f2269e25939ca7bac8b256abb483e0.jpg

The body shell will be as is, it's blank, much like a blank canvas, I am going to wrap it in decals. So hopefully the decals will turn out realistic as we're using images of the real thing as a base to make the decals.

Some facts about the model:-

- It measures 38.0mm in length

- It runs on T gauge track which is 3.0mm

- It is a free-rolling model which will be powered by a coach behind it

- The plan is to 3D print it in metal to give it weight and stability

@JeremiahBunyan

Very nice work and I would be interested to know how yiou get on with the metal printing, unfortunately I notice that Shapeways seem to have withdrawn this at the moment which is a pitty since I had just developed a 009 Ruston Hornsby loco which test printed in plastic but needs to be done in either Bronze or Brass for the added weight. - Do you have any thoughts on which metal?

Also I am currently revamping my GWR 517 0-4-2T body for the Railroad auto tank chassis so that it comes in two parts to enable it to be printed in Brass and also with handrails and am awaiting the first plastic test print to make sure it all fits so have a little time before I need to print it in brass/bronze

Preview of 517 front end below

/media/tinymce_upload/313c61fa468ebfdb637a8cf774443c17.PNG

@JeremiahBunyan

Very nice work and I would be interested to know how yiou get on with the metal printing, unfortunately I notice that Shapeways seem to have withdrawn this at the moment which is a pitty since I had just developed a 009 Ruston Hornsby loco which test printed in plastic but needs to be done in either Bronze or Brass for the added weight. - Do you have any thoughts on which metal?

Also I am currently revamping my GWR 517 0-4-2T body for the Railroad auto tank chassis so that it comes in two parts to enable it to be printed in Brass and also with handrails and am awaiting the first plastic test print to make sure it all fits so have a little time before I need to print it in brass/bronze

Preview of 517 front end below

/media/tinymce_upload/313c61fa468ebfdb637a8cf774443c17.PNG

Glad you brought that to my notice, having it done in metal is still on the cards, I haven't selected any metal yet as I am waiting to see which one prints the best and obvious cost vs. accuracy comes into play. T gauge wheels are magnetic anyway, so if the plans for a metal body don't work out, there's always magnetic wheels to save the day.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

The only metal I have done was a G scale nameplate, a wagon weight for the Hornby/Airfix 21T hoppers and some 00 loco tool boxes. These are very simple parts and were both done in brass. Neither had much in the way of detal but the edges were nice and crisp.as was the 1mm square sprue joining the two tool boxes.

My only concern is the dimensional accuracy as I believe brass and bronze 3D prints are lost wax castings uding the 3D process to make a wax model. Therefore there could be some shrinkage as the brass cools down. This has not been a problem with the small single part items but might be an issue over longer lengths where compents need to fit each other.

• 4 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/e47912b91cb114e40ac8954d31e7d2ce.JPG 

Just an update on my GWR 517 project. I have now got the test prints fior three of the parts there is still more work to do.

Although tghe front and rear of the body fit nicely I need to slightly lower the tang at the back of the body so that it is a better fit into the slot at the rear of the Hornby 14XX Chassis. I will also have to thin down  the part of the smokebox door so the front of the chassis does not try to push it out

Sadly I combined the elements of the model in slightly the wrong order so that the chimney is solid so I will need to reprint the front end again. Although I will probably go to fine detailed plastic to remove the somewhat spongy look. I also hope that this marerial will result in a smoother cab roof. I may also try to make te handrail widths a little more consitant though the main ones may need to stay at either .75 or 0.7mm to survive the manufacturing process.

However, one bit of good news is that the boiler and dome are now much smoother than the on my original model and do not looked as if they are "planked"

• 3 months later...