Minis as Pacer cars?

Scuderia Scalextric

I am a 'lone wolf' racer, so the 6-car power base with the pacer option is fantastic. I have a temporary 8' x 4' layout in the garage (so not the best environment) which is is changed twice a year (as I find the connectivity deteriorates after a month or so), and I find certain cars are better than others as pacers. My best pacer cars are (digital) Holden Torana, Porsche 997, Dodge Challenger, Lancia Delta, and (analogue) Ferrari 312, but my other cars (about 8 others) aren't good pacers themselves, but are great to race against my 'pacers'. I am interested in getting some minis (which are analogue), but would they be good as a pacer to race against with another one?

I have some Mini's (BMW) some orginally analogue and now digital. So all are now digital. As a pacer the Mini is fine but like for like I can always beat a pacer car because you have more control on the other!

I have not converted my very old BMC minis so no idea if they are any different in either the old or newer format.

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant the 'new' non-BMW minis which aren't DPR (e.g. Paddy Hopkirk's classic rally mini, and the Australian touring car minis).  I would like to get a pair, so one as a pacer, and the other to race against it, but if they are not good as (analogue) pacer's, I don't think I would bother.

Archived