TrackMaster

Is this a piece of computer software, to design and see a running version of your layout ?

Like Scarm but with htthe ability to run various engines round the layout ?

I know Hornby no longer sell it, but I can still get it on e-bay.

Simon.

Hornby Virtual Railway (HVR) and HVR2 was for designing and simulating a layout but was dropped some time ago.

Some people seem to have had problems when they tried to build a real layout designed in the program, finding that sometimes tracks wouldn't meet properly.

I had a lot of fun with it but never actually built any layouts using it.  You may be able to find HVR2 secondhand.

As a follow up to WW's post, I have just installed the free version 'Train Simulator' extension to my existing copy of SCARM. I can report that it worked effortlessly first time. Was easy to install and set up. Its operation is so straight forward that I had no need whatsoever to resort to reading instructions. The train being simulated works in both the 2D and 3D track view. Any points in your SCARM track design, now have position indicators and are clickable to change the route the simulated train takes. The limitation of the 'free version' is only one choice of a single Diesel loco and a few passenger coaches.

Note: that to install the Simulator, you have to do it from within the SCARM application itself, using the 'Extensions' tab on the SCARM navigation bar. This takes you to a web page, where you have to click TWO separate links to install, firstly the Simulator throttle and secondly the 'free version' train pack as described above. The installer uses the browser to install the files and may possibly be browser specific. I am using Firefox 52.0 for Windows.

PS - Once the extension files have been installed. Go back to the SCARM 'Extensions' tab and you will find the Simulator 'Launch' menu option is now present.

Note; I was running the very latest version of SCARM before I installed the extension. If your version of SCARM is earlier and does not have the 'Extensions' tab showing, then you will have to upgrade SCARM first.

Just installed the SCARM extensions Chris and as you say instructions are optional and it works a treat despite the incompatible track warning - no faults at all.

Great fun testing the play value of a layout and seeing where operational issues could be before laying a single piece of real track.

Rob

....despite the incompatible track warning - no faults at all.

I didn't see that warning on my SCARM track layout....

Archived