Railmaster Error - File not loading MSJET35.DLL

Roger

The place to find this missing or corrupted file is within C;WindowsSysWOW64.

If you are using Windows 10 then the file should be referenced by RM as MSJET40.dll which will be shown in that directory.

A simple search of the net will find this file for you but try and download from Microsoft itself for obvious reasons.

The file is used by Visual Basic and is a direct link library file used by a Microsoft database, MS Jet 3.5 or 4.0 in Windows 10. RailMaster is written in Visual Basic thus the call to that file.

With the error message you have given it seems that RM is maybe trying to make reference to the file in Program Files (x86)/RailMaster. Two things here... either the call is erroneous within the program code and should not be referencing it at all or the call is being made to wrong directory. MSJet3.5/4.0 files themselves will not be placed in the RailMaster directory and I have checked my test machine and install of RM with Pro and no files exist in either with that name basically proving what I say.

Now, how to fix? MSJet calls found to give errors above that you mention are NOT easy to fix and MS themselves have, over many years, directed folk to use their downloadable 'Fix' but it doesn't work.

The main solution is basically for everyone to save out their Visual Basic Projects (programs) and then reinstall the program itself they use to build their project (in other words any program using Visual Basic as its tool).

This would mean you saving out all data on RM as you normally would, uninstalling RM (just to be absolutely sure mind you) and then reinstall and put back your program files.

If that doesn't fix the issue then maybe something else is causing the error like Windows itself (not highly likely) or bad piece of code within RM. A reinstall will correct any Windows references made within its code. Simply overwriting is not a choice as the original files will not always be overwritten no matter what anyone else says.

Whilst awaiting a 'fix' for this I would be most willing, for myself, to simply remove the program and reinstall as a fix could be some way off knowing the history of this error message over many years. Having said all that a fix could be so simple and could be offered within the day. That's the nature of this one unfortunately.

I'll be curious to see how this one is sorted.

Yes, I think we should try to sort it out. The same issue was posted in November 2014 but after 4 posts the thread stopped without resolution. I agree that a re-install (or over-install) seems the likely fix but I am offering HRMS the opportunity to comment first. R-

I have now heard from HRMS who have suggested that my copy of RM has been corrupted and they asked me to download and over install a new copy of RM. This I have done and it has enabled RM to load correctly. Due to the hour, I have not tried to run RM to operate the layout, but I anticipate that all will be well from here. No indication from HRMS as to why this corruption should occur "out of the blue". R-

Usually RAF but not necessarily. If the file header is corrupt then the file will create an error upon opening.

If any of the internal code is corrupt then a checksum error can occur if the value of the sum of the bytes used is incorrect against the information within the file header. However, the value can read the same if the corrupted code value does not change because of a corrupted byte or more.Hence the downloaded file gives the impression it was OK until it is utilised though an install or used for editing for example. The corruption becomes noticeable at this stage when it behaves badly.

As RailMaster is written in Visual Basic it's install program will install the Microsoft supplied VB runtime components it requires. Some other installer, possibly even an automatic Windows update may have deleted MSJET35.DLL thinking it to be obsolete. Re-installing RailMaster will have simply re-installed MSJET35.DLL which is why all is now well.

Nick_, correct in RM installing the runtime files. It would be very rare that an update would delete the necessary files required by RM but who knows... However, it doesn't particulary matter at this stage.

Reference and fix before encountering:

There is more than one VB file installed by RM in the folder I describe above... MSJET35.dll and MSJTER35.dll. I made my 'error' in that with Win10 the default files installed by the OS are, indeed, as I said above the next version up which is 4.0 and assumed they were used by RM as default also and not the prior versions as per the VB program version used to build RM.

If anyone has a problem with this error in future and spots this thread it will be most useful. There is one thing users can do to prevent a reinstallation of RM anyway if this pops up again for a user...

FIX: If those files are missing during install or get corrupted/deleted you can arm yourself prior to this with a known and working RM installation. Simply go to the WindowsSysWOW64 folder and copy the files listed above to another location (Downloads?). If the error pops up then paste them back and RM will work again. This is a Windows 10 fix but finding those files on earlier versions of Windows will not be difficult.

Archived