Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

Wow, the locomotive crew painting you have done there is excellent. Well done.  😀

Model railways are my primary hobby, as you can probably tell by my profile image.

I'm off to Warley next weekend. Can't wait!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

I have a lot more loco crew to paint @GNR-Gordon-4.

In the meantime my latest acquisitions are:

Vallejo Model Air 71.043 US Olive Drab

Vallejo Model Air 71.056 Panzer Dark Grey

Vallejo Model Air 71.054 Dark Grey Blue (x2)

Tamiya 10mm Low-tac Masking tape (x2)

Alas not for planes, but for trains..

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@james_mower

Thank you for letting me know and I hope the locomotive crew painting goes well.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4

Oh dear a client dropped off a very large order this afternoon, so Aircraft kits will be grounded for sometime (I may knock up a Tank kit in the meantime)...

... the work is for him and his Brother (who models in P4) , so I've got 30 Modelu crew to paint, along with 9 packs of Modelu GWR lamps, 14 loco's and 9 assorted pieces of rolling stock...

My latest additions to assist my modelling  😀

/media/tinymce_upload/47e26627183ac41b4cfcd5234a600675.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/2d796fcddcb06654c07f5876e284a96a.JPG

Eduard detail sets for my next Wellington project.

/media/tinymce_upload/f79ad0d84c9ffb1db84026d089bacbc4.JPG

Paints needed for a P-51D Mustang, going to be my next build!

/media/tinymce_upload/c7645eec58cb29a064e832284ff48f1e.JPG 

The Airfix aircraft stand for 5 Mustangs? Or maybe 5 Bf109's? Oh what a choice!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/c04077141dca4fb9cb31989ee042429d.JPG

It was a bargain so had to be bid upon  😀

Thanks Paul and yes the figure sets are good and essential for a Luftwaffe diorama scene! They are becoming difficult to get hold of and sometimes go for silly prices on auction sites so this was a bargain so I was pleased to snap it up

@ Paul Brown

I see you have got the new 1:48th Scale Blenheim. Have you seen the post in the Aircraft thread from hawkerhurricaneguy about a frosted glazing issue? Is yours the same before I take the plunge and get this kit??

But I did take the plunge and added this next kit to my stash and lengthy intended build list  😀 

/media/tinymce_upload/411c6e5498c69ea47ab0da6d6da2b749.JPG

I had been contemplating this kit for a long while due to the cost so researched it first as its probably the most I've ever spent on a kit. But I've always loved the RAF Coastal command Liberator and wanted 1, but unfortunately Airfix's B-24 is now too dated and would probably be too difficult (for me) to convert  🤔.

But you do get some Eduard goodies in the kit and as part of the package .........

/media/tinymce_upload/1270040c6affa9a1824929a33c761bdb.JPG 

I got a set of 10 Vallejo Model Air Coastal Command colours which I think makes it good value!!

@ Paul Brown

I see you have got the new 1:48th Scale Blenheim. Have you seen the post in the Aircraft thread from hawkerhurricaneguy about a frosted glazing issue? Is yours the same before I take the plunge and get this kit??

I have the kit, but I didn’t notice the frosted section when I inspected it.

Now, I understand from my research and the 1/72nd version I built, that the overall black OTU option in the kit would have had all the nose glazing overpainted, including the lower panels. I believe this was due to the AI radar equipment installation. The reasons for painting it may have been to do with security, or making it easier for the radar operator to see what he was doing sat up in the nose section.

I rather think Airfix have made a small boo-boo by making this section frosted, though. It wouldn’t have been hard to overpaint it as a clear part, after all.

Yes I agree Heather your research is probably right and it would have been easier just to paint over a clear part! And I'm surprised that with Airfix's current level of research and attention to detail they have made such an error? Just a long shot but are there 2 parts in the kit, 1 clear glazed and 1 frosted for the 2 different night or day fighter schemes?

Yes I agree Heather your research is probably right and it would have been easier just to paint over a clear part! And I'm surprised that with Airfix's current level of research and attention to detail they have made such an error? Just a long shot but are there 2 parts in the kit, 1 clear glazed and 1 frosted for the 2 different night or day fighter schemes?

I just had a closer look.

There are three cockpit glazed parts, but only two (G4 and G11) are intended for this MkIF boxing according to the instructions. Both parts have frosted lower nose panels. Although the paint guide shows the glazing to be clear here for the No 54 OTU version, I think those panels should be painted over for the radar-equipped plane. One of my references shows a MkIF in winter 1939/40 at RAF Wittering, carrying the camouflage and markings found in the box for No 23 Squadron, and that shows a shiny nose panel which intimates unpainted and clear.

Part G12 is an alternate port nose - with clear unfrosted panels, mark you - which I will assume is intended for a future MkIB kit: the difference is the layout of the pilot's side windows. There are bombs in the kit as it stands, which indicates plans for the bomber variant and, and one might hope, a MkIV in due course. Having checked my references, perhaps G12 is intended for the MkIF, and the instructions have shown the wrong part.

This needs a proper Blenheim expert to unpick.

Is yours the same before I take the plunge and get this kit??

Yes, it's how the designer intended it. I don't see it as an issue, night fighter Blenheims often had the panels over-painted (I would guess to reduce flash from the guns being fired). There's photos of the 54 OTU machine having the panels over-painted, although I'm not sure about the 23 Squadron machine. The instructions show clear panels for both aircraft, but I believe that is erroneous, other than for depicting the 23 Squadron machine as G-BPIV currently operating from Duxford. The frosting is not especially heavy, it shouldn't be at all difficult to polish out if you want to have a clear panel. To be honest, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about, the kit looks superb, Airfix firing on all cylinders. 

I love the look of those two Thunderbirds kits that you have bought. Who makes / made them? What other Thunderbirds branded kits do you own?

They're mostly by Aoshima who do a whole series of Thunderbirds kits. They're not cheap, averaging out at £30-£40 a pop, but I'm fortunate to be able to indulge myself. The two TB-1s and the TB-2 are the old Imai kits. There's two TB-1s because the kit is compromised in that they build into push-along toys. With two kits there's enough parts to complete one flying model I also recently managed to acquire an Aoshima TB-1, this is far superior to the Imai kits and features an undecarriage.

/media/tinymce_upload/fb097750cd16a54f5d913f47e22ea8df.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/0aa1127121bf991f8d69b94c7e1ecb6b.JPG

You should find most of these if you do an ebay search.

I'm guessing that these need to be constructed and painted? What scale are they?

Yes, they're pretty much regular plastic kits, although some have motorised features and contain parts for motorisation. Some offer screw together components, the big TB-2 has main parts that are screwed as well as glue. Scales are variable. 

Are they not sold in the UK, as there appears to be writing on the boxes that I cannot read?

They originate from Japan and have Japanese text on the boxes. They are fairly limited in availability in the UK/Europe, I've been ebaying some (you might be able to buy direct in some cases), others I've been getting from a couple of Facebook sellers who order them in if they become available.

@Paul Brown

So if the scales are variable, they are not made to a particular scale and one kit called be smaller / taller to another. So the kits might look odd together, which is not something one wants, due to these kits all being Thunderbirds themed. They are supposed to go together!  😆

So they not officially sold in the UK, as they are Japanese imports. I suppose you could import them to the UK yourself, depending on how expensive / cheap the postage is from Japan to the UK, but there is a risk of having import fees upon delivery of the parcel.

I am guessing then that Aoshima is a Japanese kit manufacturer then? If I am correct here, I have never heard of them! 😆

Please post images some on this forum when you complete them. I would love to see them. 😀

GNR-Gordon-4

@ Heather

Typo on my post was supposed to be THANKS, not That's at the start of my reply!! But yes I enjoy going into my loft and going through my stash as well but I end up with another pile that I want to add to my build schedule!

Not enough hours in the day to do them all lol !!