4 Wheel brake van?

Nictor

The little 4 wheel passenger coach has been a standard item in various liveries for many years now.  Did there ever used to exist a brake van version of it - maybe in the Triang days. I seem to have a vague memory of one in by gone years? Or am I imagining it?

Yeah I know they are 'sorta-looks-like' . I thought I half rememberd the same model though with one end as a guards compartment. Should have said that not brake. Confusing the issue.  I know GF did some in n scale in various liveries that were more prototypical and they now sell for good money. Pity nobody makes them in oo scale. Just the kit ones which are old mouldings these days.

Hi Nictor

Back in the 1970's Hornby made an Australian 4 wheel VR Z brake van as part of a range targeted at the Australian market.

To little to late IMHO.

While not specificaly made for the 4 wheel coaches it does work very well with them as it has luggage space and a dog box.

it is instantly recognisable because of the roof top lookout.

You would probably want to re paint it as it is bright orange, but in this instant strange though that would be to UK eyes that is one livery it had in its life time.

Keep an eye on evil bay they do occasionally show up but as they are very collectable due to the short life of the Australian range, you are looking at a minimum 30-pound price tag for a good one.

regards John

There would be excellent opportunities for 'cut and shut' conversions using old carriages (like the short Triang/Hornby clerestories and 9 inch Triang carriages) and the RailRoad wagon 'ex brakevan' type long wheelbase underframes, or old Triang brakevans . There must be hundreds of these which have suffered over years but which would render up adequate spare parts with a careful application of a razor saw and some polystyrene cement.

Archived