trains slowed down

Hi

My layout uses elink and pro software, everything had been running fine. I then decided to add an extension however this is not the problem other than I decided to move the pc and associated wiring.. During the time of building the extension I bought a steam train which I then installed a decoder which  I incorrectly wired and whilst atemping to programme the loco promply shorted out the decoder. Thought no more about it and carried on with the extension, nearing completion of extension I connected up pc to the original layout, I had lots of trouble  connecting pc with dcc controller, and when it it did connect the trains seem to run a lot slower and would not work properly ie sometimes you could not turn sound ofF or alter speed.etc.

I uninstalled and installed latest driver  to comms port, i did notice the baud rate on the diver and the railmaster panel were different but have set these both to 115200. however the trains are still not runing as before, had a second new elink but has made no difference, the power is supplied by a laptop transformer but I have not changed this.

From a novice point of view it seems like there isnt the same power as before, is it possible my shorting out the decoder could have damaged power supply,  any ideas would be welcome. as I said the extension is not connected yet to the original layout or has any wiring

I would swap your laptop PSU with a Hornby one as supplied with the eLink and check running performance then. It could be the power supply being non standard has not protected the controller as it could have.

If no better then you have eliminated both the controller and PSU side so it's down to track, feeds, etc.

If it's OK with the Hornby PSU then you know it's the laptop PSU that is at fault.

Rob

Archived