Hornby A4 FALCON DCC installation

btm

I've recently accquired a Hornby A4 - Falcon number R2779. It's a Railroad model and according to the box is DCC ready. Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to convert it from DC to DCC, nor can I find any on various websites.  Does anyone have a copy of the instructions that they could forward to me? Also, while I'm at it, am considering putting an A4 sound module in it. Has anyone installed a sound module in this loco?

TIA

• 2 years later...

Thanks again for these.

My situation is a little odd, insofar as my tender has a ringfield frame within it.

Presumably when hornby started putting the dcc chip in the loco they still used the old tender chassis.

I'm thinking to site the sound chip in the loco, and the speaker in the [modified] tender.

Can I just extend the wire from the chip to the speaker and if so, do you know what size wire I need to use?

I have sufficient, basic soldering expertise.

Thanks.

Rob/willhay555

Someone tried this before on here and a round speaker just fitted into the empty motor housing with the decoder standing alongside, else just run extended speaker wires to the tender. Extend the wires from the speaker end not the decoder pads. Use the same gauge  wire as existing.

A suitable sized speaker can use the empty motor housing as an enclosure I.e mounted vertically facing to one sideusing hot glue or similar to fix it in place.

The decoder was plugged into a socket that the poster had fitted into the tender and the only place for the decoder was standing on edge  alongside the motor housing.

Without drawing you a diagram I cannot explain it any clearer.

In your case I would put the decoder in the loco where you already have a socket and find a suitably sized cube speaker to fit in the loco as well. The A4 body has more room than most Pacifics.

I have got  at least 4 of my Hornby A4 locos with TTS sound in them, I even fitted it to a Bachmann A4. If it goes in the loco, I use a sugar cube speaker, I found that there was quit a lot of room in the front behind the sloping front and underneath the chimney. It is even big enough to put in a slightly deeper "sugar cube" .

I use a sugar cube speaker from YouChoos. The last one I converted I used one that was about to be discontinued, but it looks like they don't do it anymore, but I have used the SCUBE5. I found the microcube one didn't give much noise. Best idea is open up the loco and look at the available space, as I said I found there was a lot of room at the front of the loco. The deeper the SCUBE speaker you can fit, the better the base. I use ex iphone speakers in my diesels, they are thinner but bigger, but the space is not big enough inside the body of an A4.

Colin is right about the effect of the depth of the enclosure. 

ESU do speaker kits with a variety of box depths In both round and rectangular format. Richard Croft also flogs them on his web site accessible from the RM Web forum page.