New Q1 DCC question

Nictor

Interested in the new Hornby Q1 and looking to add sound. I can not find a service or maintenance sheet yet on the website. It looks as though in the old one the chip was in the main body.  Looking at pictures of the new one it looks as though there are wires going to the tender. Can anybody confirm if the chip goes in the tender and also if possible is there room for a speaker in there?

I have my tender open on new Q1 waiting to fit sound decoder. Usual set up witth 8 pin socket at rear of tender and round cut out for speaker, but it will be snug.

I am fitting the smaller Zimo decoder MX648R and will try to fit a Dumbo speaker 18x13x13. If this is too tight then I will try a sugar cube or round. 

Wish they would make more information available on DCC sound fitting, and provision for choice of speakers.

As far as I know all recent and new Hornby locos will have provision for their sound system i.e. TTS in that there will be an 8-pin socket and a speaker mount location to suit their provided standard 28mm round unit.

I would not expect nor have I seen any manufacturer provision for a choice of either decoder or speaker.

For retro TTS there is a standard installation blurb sheet available to download from the main site, not that it is much very much help as it is and has to be quite generic.

Rob

It would make sense that as each loco comes with a maintenance sheet telling how to lube the loco and get it apart, to include also the associated parts sheet.

I have asked countless times for new service sheets and some you can get from HCC upon request but others their Tech Pubs Dept do not seem to have caught up with yet.

Rob

Webb coal tank is a wonderfull DCC sound fit and SR O2 are just a couple of locos that are very helpful on fitting.DCC Sound

If you are prepared to modify tenders then much better speakers could be fitted. The Battle of Britain wastes a lot of space with the coal section.

Archived