Reading CV's 160-177

Cowplain

I have recently purchased a TTS fitted King (R3384TTS) and today I received and fitted a TTS Decoder for my Castle (R2822). Everything is working fine but found that the sound volume was a bit inbalanced between the twp locos, so I had a go at changing volume setting by changing the values of Cv's 160-177. My first action was to read the initial values (I use Railmaster) which returned a figure of 255. I then thought it would be worth seeing what CV1 read out as. Again it was 255, but all is working correctly. I rewrote CV1 to my original settings which appeared to go Ok, but once again when I read the CV it was returning 255. Everything seems to be working OK, but I can not change the volumes.

Please can anyone advise?

Try disconnecting the layout while you are using the programming track and see if you have better luck reading.

Whether that works or not, just write the values you want to the CVs you want to change and see if you can hear the difference.  I’m assuming from what you’ve said you’ve been able to change CV1 to the loco ID you want?  And reading it and getting 255 should not have changed it from what you had already set it to, was that not the case?

Your first step on a steamer is to adjust CV178 which is the overall volume, then fine tune the separate sounds.

A simple way to do this is write value 5 to CV8 to put the whole sound section back todefault settings of value 4, then go from there..

Rob

Late last night bored with TV I had a go at reading the CVs on one of my TTS fitted A4s. With the Prodigy2 controller this has to be on the prog track. I set it up. At fist the CVs 160 to 177 all returned ERR. So I tried again this time they all returned 3. Now the quick volume on TTS is CV178 and that is stated in the handbook as unreadable and returned 254 which is the unreadable value on my set up. I had previously set the volume on this particular TTS to 3 which explained the value of 3 on all the CVs 160 to 177. Changing CV178 to 8 changed all of the CVs 160 to 170 to 8 and back to 3 when CV178 again changed.

I then ran thru the CV list given in the handbook and get back the same defaults on all as shown in the list.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I use the Hornby Rolling Road as my programming track and for running in Locos. I was becoming a bit concerned about the apparent fragility of the ELinks terminal connectors and thought I could overcome this with a bit more wire and a couple of toggle switches. Funtionally this arrangement worked very well until I came up with the requirement to adjust some of the "sounds" on my Loco's.Having disconnected my jury rig of switches and connected the rolling road directly to the Elink Prog Ports I now have the full capability expected of Railmaster to read and write to the necessary CV's.

I am not sure why by adding a bit more wire, some chocolate block and a couple of toggle switches should effect the reading and writing of CV's.

Morairamike, thanks for the offer of the loan of a controller. I can't be far away from where you live. Although I use my legacy name of Cowplain I actually live in Horndean. It would be interesting to meet up, but I too do not know how to pass on contact info through this site.

I am not sure why adding a bit more wire, some chocolate blocks and a couple of toggle switches should effect the reading and writing of CV's.

Cowplain, the programming output signal of the Hornby controllers is an extremely low current. The slightest resistance in the signal path will have the ability to affect it. Every time you add a component AND/OR a connection in the signal path, you are adding a slight resistance to the circuit. Very low currents are not very good at electrically cleaning the switch contact area in toggle switches (internally). So over time, traces of grime and tarnish can build up inside the switch. Therefore the reliability of the switch when used in a DCC controller programming circuit diminishes over time. In a normal toggle switch circuit, with higher currents flowing, there are usually sparks within the switch housing that you cannot see. These sparks cut through the grime and tarnish to keep the current path electrically clean.

It was also asked how members could chat privately on this forum - simple - you cannot!

What you can do, although rather unwieldy, is ask the forum manager (Admin ADAM) to pass your email address on to the other person, and say it is ok for the manager to pass you theirs!

I use a rolling road as both a test track and a programming track by way of a DPDT switch and I note Chris comment about the switch contacts fouling over time - something to keep in mind.

So far programming has been satsfactory but the mechanics of the rolling road using the bearings as current passers must have some affect on the weak DCC programming signal.

Rob

To my original comment I should add, that better quality switches have an internal contact geometry that promotes a sliding action between contacts. The sliding action being slightly abrasive, also cleans the contact surface area.

Meet 10:30 Thurs 26th. suggest meet "where flushed cat remembers its 2x tables front carpark".

I will say this only once - I will be carrying a copy of tomorrow's Times and wearing a red carnation in my button hole...the code phrase is 'My Aunty bakes Bloomers' and the response is 'My Uncle wears them'.

Sorry - couldn't resist it.

Rob

Archived